General Brake squeal(HELP PLEASE ITS DRIVING ME MAD AT THIS STAGE)

Currently reading:
General Brake squeal(HELP PLEASE ITS DRIVING ME MAD AT THIS STAGE)

timogen

Hi lads and ladettes,i'm new to this so can you please bare with me.
The father-inlaw was on to me that his brakes were squealing on his fiat stillo,1.6 petrol so ive done the pads and disks, copper grease on the back of the pad and edges the lot but there is still a squeal in the front right wheel when the disk hots up.
What could be causing this is it possible for the squealer strip to be still hitting the disk or am i missing another reason for it?

Hi lads and ladettes,i'm new to this so can you please bare with me.
The father-inlaw was on to me that his brakes were squealing on his fiat stillo,1.6 petrol so ive done the pads and disks, copper grease on the back of the pad and edges the lot but there is still a squeal in the front right wheel when the disk hots up.
What could be causing this is it possible for the squealer strip to be still hitting the disk or am i missing another reason for it?
Hi, had the same problem a while ago but it was the pads that made me sound like a train when stopping. Since you've probably used the same kind on all wheels that wouldn't be it. It could be the metal protector behind the disks but that would either make a noise while turning or all the time.. you should better describe the sound is it like a train stopping? Or just something scratching the disk?

The brakes were starting to squeal,pads were 3-4mm left but disks have had it so replaced pads aswell as disks just for good measure.
Now it only squeals (high pitched) like when pads are worn and squealer strip is hitting the disk,also it only happens when the disk is hot it fine when cold.
Sorry forgot to say iv'e checked the guard at the back of the disk and it isn't that.

Last edited:
Hi.
I fitted Mintex pads to both my stilo’s and both cars squealed like the proverbial pig.
I put up with it for a while then on advice tried Nippon pads, problem solved.
Nippon is all I use now, they last well and braking performance is good and best of all no squealing.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Squeeking is usually caused by heat / metal expanding. Make sure you lube up the anti-rattle clips with copper grease, as these are very often the culprit, being the medium between caliper and pad.

Yes i used the copper grease on the back of the pads.The screech really sounds like the wear pad indicator is hitting the disk is it possible with new pads.
Sorry went through your post to quick,Its the little piece of metal between the caliper and the pad is what i reckon is hitting the disk and making the screech.

Last edited:
Same here with the Mintex pads, lots of copper grease on the backs and clip ends and still squealing. After a week it's slowly dying down and is now barely noticeable.

Just to update,had to go down to the father in-law today he was in tramore about 160km from were i am.Took apart the brake caliper checked pads,clips,guard at back of disk and all the rest but still no reason for the squealing.
I drove the car back to dublin,the squeal started when the disk heated up was like this for a good few km so i lightly kept my foot on the brake for about 3km.THANK YOU WHOEVER IS OUT THERE,the squeal is gone it was just the pad bedding in.Only the sound of the radio for 120km:)

Back