General Brake Shoe Problem

Currently reading:
General Brake Shoe Problem

Hi. Had my Punto Mark 2 (type 188), since January 2010. Do my own service, brakes etc. Just brought same shoes as were on the car when I brought it. Always had trouble getting the Single Coil spring to go into the the hole where the Self Adjuster is on Left Hand Side. It has a Bar across the shoes above Brake Cylinder. Anyway Spring broke (N/S/ Wheel). Guess it was the original one. So purchased set from Euro Parts last June. January same spring snapped on N/S/ Rear Wheel). Got a replacement from them. Then a Spring Clip snapped (That's holds the Rear Shoe in place). Got my money back from Euro Parts and put old one back on. Anyway Haynes manual does not show my brake set up, so got in touch and they kindly set me a picture from the Workshop Manual. (Attached photo). Completely Different to my setup. It has a hole top of Brake Shoe. Can only see the one Shoe properly. So went to Fiat Dealer. They gave the me Code for Brake Shoes, (77362295). And Stock Kit Brake L, (9945976). Stock Brake Kit R, (9945981).
GSM Parts sent me a picture of the springs for the car, (Attached photo).
So I have the Wrong Shoes since I brought the car. Worked fine though. Interesting though is the Right Kit Brake costs more that the Left one. Why? Cannot find a video that shows the Brake Setup for my car. Can anyone help me. I may even have to contact Fiat Company to see if they would email me picture from their Workshop Manual.
Hope I have explained everything okay.

Attachments

• Springs.jpg
    Springs.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Punto rear brakes.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
the haynes picture shows a16V car. I suppose therefore you have ABS . I have the 16v abs car. i can now fairy easily get the shoes on and off without a big hassle and dont have to remove the hub which the drum bolts to. Problem is I can never remember exactly how i do it! I think i do the following to get the shoes off. First pull the shoes off the sliders at the bottom and using a screwdriver in the coils remove the spring. The spring is now looser because the shoes are closer once out of the slider thing so it is not so difficult. Remove the clips in the middle. you can then bend the springs out from behind the hub somehow. Putting them back in you need to have the adjusters turned in so that is as easy as possible to put the shoes spring and adjuster back into position. The spring and shoes might go in first and then the adjuster can be fitted without massive difficulty with a bit of pressure from a screwdriver? I cannot remember exactly but it goes fairly easily. Then put the spring on the bottom and get the shoes in the sliders. clips on. Something like that.

If you provide a picture i can compare my set up and check how i do it. It took me a long time to work out how to do this job easily!

Hi. Had my Punto Mark 2 (type 188), since January 2010. Do my own service, brakes etc. Just brought same shoes as were on the car when I brought it. Always had trouble getting the Single Coil spring to go into the the hole where the Self Adjuster is on Left Hand Side. It has a Bar across the shoes above Brake Cylinder. Anyway Spring broke (N/S/ Wheel). Guess it was the original one. So purchased set from Euro Parts last June. January same spring snapped on N/S/ Rear Wheel). Got a replacement from them. Then a Spring Clip snapped (That's holds the Rear Shoe in place). Got my money back from Euro Parts and put old one back on. Anyway Haynes manual does not show my brake set up, so got in touch and they kindly set me a picture from the Workshop Manual. (Attached photo). Completely Different to my setup. It has a hole top of Brake Shoe. Can only see the one Shoe properly. So went to Fiat Dealer. They gave the me Code for Brake Shoes, (77362295). And Stock Kit Brake L, (9945976). Stock Brake Kit R, (9945981).
GSM Parts sent me a picture of the springs for the car, (Attached photo).
So I have the Wrong Shoes since I brought the car. Worked fine though. Interesting though is the Right Kit Brake costs more that the Left one. Why? Cannot find a video that shows the Brake Setup for my car. Can anyone help me. I may even have to contact Fiat Company to see if they would email me picture from their Workshop Manual.
Hope I have explained everything okay.
I had a non ABS MK2 and some photos of the rear left wheel setup if it helps. I spent over an hour wondering if I was doing something wrong with reassembly before figuring out that I'd been sent the wrong brake shoes. The differences are very subtle so be sure to compare the old and the new shoes. The correct ones would be fiddly to install due to the springs however should ideally fit well

Reactions: AED
the haynes picture shows a16V car. I suppose therefore you have ABS . I have the 16v abs car. i can now fairy easily get the shoes on and off without a big hassle and dont have to remove the hub which the drum bolts to. Problem is I can never remember exactly how i do it! I think i do the following to get the shoes off. First pull the shoes off the sliders at the bottom and using a screwdriver in the coils remove the spring. The spring is now looser because the shoes are closer once out of the slider thing so it is not so difficult. Remove the clips in the middle. you can then bend the springs out from behind the hub somehow. Putting them back in you need to have the adjusters turned in so that is as easy as possible to put the shoes spring and adjuster back into position. The spring and shoes might go in first and then the adjuster can be fitted without massive difficulty with a bit of pressure from a screwdriver? I cannot remember exactly but it goes fairly easily. Then put the spring on the bottom and get the shoes in the sliders. clips on. Something like that.

If you provide a picture i can compare my set up and check how i do it.
Thanks for reply. My car is 1.2 8 valve. That was the problem Haynes manual did not match my system. I eventually got them to email the photo attached to my post. Then I went to Fiat Dealer. Took the log book, so they could check details. Parts manager took about 30 minutes before he came back and gave me the code for the correct shoes and brake kits. Unfortunately the photo, (That Haynes emailed me), only shows one shoe fully. I went to my local parts supplier, (used him for years). He can get the rights shoes for the car. I also attached photo of the brake kit set. GSM Car Parts say this is kit for fitting with the brake shoes. But the kit shows only 2 of the segregated washers. Yet I have 4 shoes. Not sure what is going on.
Hope my message makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I had a non ABS MK2 and some photos of the rear left wheel setup if it helps. I spent over an hour wondering if I was doing something wrong with reassembly before figuring out that I'd been sent the wrong brake shoes. The differences are very subtle so be sure to compare the old and the new shoes. The correct ones would be fiddly to install due to the springs however should ideally fit well
If you have a photo that shows where the Single Coil spring goes that would be great. Hopefully your shoes have holes at the very top where spring should attach. I have been pulling spring under the wheel cylinder piston onto the hole where the self adjuster mechanism is. That is how the car was when I brought. Obviously the previous owner had done it wrong and I just followed suite. Hope I have explained things properly.

If you could take the time to send theses photos it would be a great help, as I can see type of brake shoes you have and where the springs are placed. Then I will know if my brakes are the same. Thanks:)

If you could take the time to send theses photos it would be a great help, as I can see type of brake shoes you have and where the springs are placed. Then I will know if my brakes are the same. Thanks:)
HI. I have just posted new thread called Brake Shoe Problem Update. I have uploaded photo's of N/S/wheel setup of the Springs/Clips etc.
Hope this helps. Thanks;)

Back