Technical Brake Pads

Currently reading:
Technical Brake Pads

Werner

Hi there, I am looking to get some new front bake pads for my punto mk1, 1.1, 97 model. I have recently replaced the discs to drilled and grooved, but have now noticed my brakes make a weird clicky noise when braking. I am not sure if this can be due to wear on the pads as I did not replace them when I replaced the discs.
I am now looking for pads and want to know what is a good make to get. I am currently looking at either mintex or omp sets on ebay. Can anyone please tell me which is better, if any.
Also If there are any other makes for roughly the same price but (£20-£30) but better please let me know. If there is a better place to buy them from, this will also be helpful.
Thanks
Werner

Hi there, I am looking to get some new front bake pads for my punto mk1, 1.1, 97 model. I have recently replaced the discs to drilled and grooved, but have now noticed my brakes make a weird clicky noise when braking. I am not sure if this can be due to wear on the pads as I did not replace them when I replaced the discs.
I am now looking for pads and want to know what is a good make to get. I am currently looking at either mintex or omp sets on ebay. Can anyone please tell me which is better, if any.
Also If there are any other makes for roughly the same price but (£20-£30) but better please let me know. If there is a better place to buy them from, this will also be helpful.
Thanks
Werner

Mintex Extreme - Excellent fast pads, great perfromance from cold and a good reduction in fade. Combine this with a complete fluid change (Halfords 5.1) and you will have a great set of stoppers.

They are about £45 but the beat the pants off anything EBC make.

Fluid changers (Halfords 5.1)???
What are these? and so you would recomend getting the mintex?
Or does it have to be mintex extreme?
Thanks
Werner

Fluid changers (Halfords 5.1)???
What are these? and so you would recomend getting the mintex?
Or does it have to be mintex extreme?
Thanks
Werner

Mintex Extreme, the other Mintex pads are a bit more hardcore track day slabs ;)

You should change your brake fluid every two years as the fluid degrades over this time as it absorbs water and lowers the boiling point.

Replace the fluid with uprated dot 5.1 fluid which has a higher BP and and is much less likely to fade giving you better more reliable brakes.

I have just done some calling about and have found that I can get Mintex pads for £13.15 and mintex extreme for £38.30.
There is a great difference in price, so would like to know if it is worth it, keeping in mind I am running a mk1, 1.1 punto.
Will I notice any difference between the 2, will the one last much longer than the other etc..?
Thanks

I have just done some calling about and have found that I can get Mintex pads for £13.15 and mintex extreme for £38.30.
There is a great difference in price, so would like to know if it is worth it, keeping in mind I am running a mk1, 1.1 punto.
Will I notice any difference between the 2, will the one last much longer than the other etc..?
Thanks

It depends what you want. If you don't want to spend the cash then get the cheap ones. Mintex Extreme don't last any longer, they just work better. The Extremes are performance pads. I use them in my Fabia (Which weighs 1300kg and does 145mph) initially for track days but they are that good I use them on the road.

Your initial post indicated you wanted to upgrade the pads in line with your disc upgrade and these are an ideal upgrade. Although a 1.1 Punto isn't going to trouble the standard pads, you might be better just fitting standards and change your fluid. BTW the sets on EBAy are going to be no better than what you get from you local motorfactors and after postage could be more expensive

So you would say that the normal mintex pads should be fine to go in line with my disc upgrade?
And yeah the prices I quoted for the mintex pads were not from ebay but from a shop near my house.
Thanks again.
Werner

So you would say that the normal mintex pads should be fine to go in line with my disc upgrade?
And yeah the prices I quoted for the mintex pads were not from ebay but from a shop near my house.
Thanks again.
Werner

Any pads will be fine. Those normal Mintex pads are just standard pads.

I'd stick with the standard mintex or EBC, no offence intended but its a 1.1, you just cant do the speeds needed to need to spend more.

As for the noise, thats totally normal, I kinda like it

Thanks, and as for the noise, I doubt its normal. When I first put the discs on there was a slightly weaird noise and I accepted that, but its got alot worse now, it sounds like something is sticking out and being caught by the grooves.
Above this, it is quite loud.
Not sure that is normal.
Werner

Thanks, and as for the noise, I doubt its normal. When I first put the discs on there was a slightly weaird noise and I accepted that, but its got alot worse now, it sounds like something is sticking out and being caught by the grooves.
Above this, it is quite loud.
Not sure that is normal.
Werner

Change the pads and see then.

Grooved discs do this until properly bedded in. TBH I wouldn't change just the discs I would always do the pads as well.

Back