Technical Brake lights staying on!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Brake lights staying on!!!

Ned Flanders

Hi guys,

A kind motorist pointed out to me yesterday that my break lights were staying on. I have fiddled about with the pedals and managed to ge them off but they came almost immediately straight back on again. Where should I be looking yo resolve this issue? Is there some kind of sensor on the brake pedal that needs adjusted? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

"Where should I be looking yo resolve this issue? "
Have a look in the Stilo guides up above (always a good place to start) look for "brake light problems- changing the brake light switch" and you'll see how to replace and adjust the brake switch

Yours might just need adjustment

Last edited:
"Where should I be looking yo resolve this issue? "
Have a look in the Stilo guides up above (always a good place to start) look for "brake light problems- changing the brake light switch" and you'll see how to replace and adjust the brake switch

Yours might just need adjustment

Thank you Deckchair5! You deserve a medal for the work you do around these forums (y)

I never thought for a second that there would be a guide available but there is. Absolutely incredible stuff Deckchair5 :) ;)

Deckchair5,

I have since followed your excellent guide in getting the brake switch out but I am having some problems getting it removed. It seems to be extremely tight. I can feel it move a little but it won't give much more than that. Should I be a little more forceful? Also, which way should I be turning it? At a guess, I would say taking it out and putting it back in again may solve the problem. The reason I say this is because if I fiddle around with it the brake lights will go out and work as normal, but then it isn't long before I'm back to the same problem. I'm sure this is loose and just needs reset. Any EXTRA tips would be great. Thanks a million!

Yes it's a light bulb type bayonet fitting so a 1/4 turn and it's out, either direction. Then push it up through and then test your one handed sklls at removing the connector

TAKE NOTE
If you need to buy and install a new switch then the locating lugs will almost certainly need filing down or it will never go in. Compare the old switch to the new one. All explained with photos in the Guide

Last edited:
Deckchair5,

It seems to be extremely tight. I can feel it move a little but it won't give much more than that. Should I be a little more forceful?

ned,
In a word... yes, i had the same issue, you just need to exert a bit more force, difficult I know because of he cramped conditions, i found it easier to crouch outside the car leaning in with both hands under the dash, rather that laying on my back with one arm up inside it. less vision but more twisting power!!

LOL thanks guys! I'll try and be a little less girly next time and use a bit more force :)

Using two hands seems like a good idea. I'll give it a go and let you all know :slayer:

Back