Technical Brake Drum Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Brake Drum Problem

Kev5

I recently had the rear brake shoes replaced on my Cincq 1.1 Sporting but still kept getting a banging noise when I braked. Apparently the drums were a bit warped so I have just had them replaced too. I think the mechanic did it a bit quick because I drove the car home today and it was making a horrendous noise for the whole journey and going up a hill it felt like I was driving with the handbrake on (although I wasn't). When I stopped for petrol I could smell that "metal on metal" smell...

Any ideas of a diagnosis - is there an easy way to adjust something at the back?

I don't want to take it back to the mechanic as I simply don't trust his work any more and have had to wait a month for a radiator to be repaired and the drums to be replaced.

Last edited:
Sounds like the adjustment is all to cock. Make sure the handbrake cable is loose when in the off position as a starter. If it is, make sure the actuators in the drums are moving smoothly and not seized.

From there its a matter of setting the friction adjusters in the right place for the new drums, however your mechanic may have screwed the lot if everything is bright blue when you take it to bits.

Cheers

PD

Re: wheel trims

Wheel trms required for 2002 Seicento.

Thanks for that - I knew I was missing something but I have a Cinquecento!
Or can I translate that as "I need wheel trims for a 2002 Seicento." :bang:

Meanwhile...back to the problem with the brake drums.... :cry:

May thanks PD for your input. :)
Am currently trying to find a mechanic who knows what they are doing.

Not a difficult DIY job, but most of the high street places will be familiar with the wierdnesses of Cento rear brakes.

Well, I would be happy to jack the car up and have a go if I had instructions. I have a few friends who have a bit more auto experience than me (computers are my thing!). Always a learning experience... (such as leaving the Haynes manual in the UK when I came to Spain (n))

Any pointers would be most appreciated....

one thing you should remember (learnt that from experience): usually when you jack the car up, you pull the handbrake. Well, when doing stuff to rear drums, you're not supposed to do that, otherwise you won't be able to take them apart :)

one thing you should remember (learnt that from experience): usually when you jack the car up, you pull the handbrake. Well, when doing stuff to rear drums, you're not supposed to do that, otherwise you won't be able to take them apart :)

As a further cosequence, only jack up on a level surface, and chock the front wheels while leaving it in gear.

Its bloody difficult trying to do anything on a car thats running down the driveway.

Cheers

PD

Back