Technical Brake drum groaning on start

Currently reading:
Technical Brake drum groaning on start

panda4president

Hi All, I failed my MOT on the rear brakes, which weren't exerting enough force - I wasn't surprised, because the pedal felt very soft, the handbrake didn't do very much and there was a groaning from the right drum whenever I started moving the car. I got them completely overhauled (shoes, drums, even cylinders).

Though the MOT was passed, and the pedal and handbrake work great, I still get the groaning from the rear right drum when I start up the car, and brake to slow for a corner. The groaning continues for about 5 to 7 brakes, and then it stops.

I'm a bit pissed off because after what I went through at the mechanic, I would expect those drums to be silent as I brake. Does anybody with drums experience know what it could be? Is it worth going back to ask for them to fix it?

Thanks!

You say the noise is present when you start up the car,
Do you have your foot on the brake when the car is started?
Would you describe it as a rotational noise?
Does it make the noise when you're stationary if you press the pedal or apply the handbrake?

When drum brakes are weak its either the hydraulics or worn shoes or both. You say the pedal is soft so the hydraulics are most likely failing on one or both brake cylinders.

A failing seal is dangerous so get it sorted before using the car again.

Parts are not costly and its not a difficult job so labour costs wont be high.

Last edited:
I would say that getting in and out of the car, whilst it's parked on a slop or you are 'big boned' usually generates a small groan owing the suspension movement causing the wheel to move fractionally.

Once the shoes are settled they should really be quiet when driving - your front disks might groan a bit at first if it's been parked up in the damp a few days and the disks have a rust coating.

Sorry, I meant that when I first get it moving, and the first three or 5-7 times I brake I get the groan.

Please get the brakes sorted out.

We don't know the internal condition but its already failed the MOT so clearly not good. If the brake drum cylinders dump their fluid you wont have any brakes.

Last edited:
The brake pedal is fine after taking it to the mechanic - It's only the groaning is out of the ordinary.

The brake pedal is fine after taking it to the mechanic - It's only the groaning is out of the ordinary.

Fair enough. I was going by what was posted earlier.

The hand brake can cause the brakes to groan if its not pulling tight as it should. Lack of use will allow a layer of rust to build up which also causes noises.

Get the hand brake adjustment checked the give the car a good long drive, working it hard and see how it goes after that.

Do you apply the handbrake when you park overnight?

If so, try leaving it off (in gear, or chocked) and see if the sound is the same next morning. If not, it's a handbrake fault. If it's the same even with the handbrake off all night, it's the hydraulic system/brake shoe fault.

Last edited:
No it shouldn't moan after new shoes and cylinders fitted.

If it doesn't improve you should take it back.

You cant take a chance on brakes. Really need to come apart to see what's going on.

My gut feeling is there is no grease on the backing plate contact points.

Thanks Guys, I'll try leaving the handbrake off overnight out of curiosity, but ultimately I think I need to take it back and ask them to sort it!

I replaced ALL of rear braking system piece by piece .To my frustration I eventually found the cable was the problem !

Back