brake binding?

Currently reading:
brake binding?

quick question regarding a car im looking at buying.

I asked the lady if there was anything she could point out to the faulty. She said a few little scratches etc and a few bonnet chips from stones as you would expect on an older car (tipo).

she also said that the rear brakes were "binding" slightly. Now i dont know if she means the handbrake or the actual stopping brakes themselves but i cant work out what binding means lol.

any ideas?

Normally if someone describes brakes as binding it means that the brakes themselves are not disengaging properly, and are therefore binding on. This can happen to diff degrees, on the R5GT it was a common problem on the rear calipers as when left one for long periods of time the pistons would get surface rust and therefore not retract leaving the pads binding against the disc. I also had the RHS rear drum on my cinq bind so much that the wheel felt hot after driving for about 10miles :eek: fixed back taking apart and cleaning and degreasing all moving parts in the linkage.

Aaron.

Another occurnace of this is rear brake shoes where the friction material is screwed on and not bonded, condenstion makes the screws corrode and it sticks to the drum.

Normally a good overhaul fixes it.

Liam

Back