General bp ultimate unleaded in my 1.2

Currently reading:
General bp ultimate unleaded in my 1.2

tozzleozzle

-Butwig-
Was just intrested, its coming up to my weekley fill up and i was wondering what it might do, it wont like blow the engin up or n e think will it?:p or will it give a small bit of proformence???

Why do you guys think that paying another few pence a litre for "Snake Oil" will give you extra MPG? It just doesn't happen (& if it does - then it's all in the mind!).

Modern car engines have VERY powerful computers (more powerful than the Apollo 13 mission Space Shuttle - that is fact!). Your modern ECU makes MILLIONS of calculations a second to determine how much fuel to tell the high pressure sensor to inject into the cylinders for any given throttle depression. Most modern cars don't even have a metal cable between the accelerator pedal & the throttle body - it's all electronic "fly by wire".

To pay extra for 98RON over 95RON is a BIG mistake if you have a modern car (2000 on). You WILL get a slightly cleaner engine - if you plan to run the car for 10 years+. Otherwise you are just throwing your hard earned cash down the toilet. And in my experience, you will see a REDUCTION in your mpg. Just fill up with ASDA 95RON(y)

Why do you guys think that paying another few pence a litre for "Snake Oil" will give you extra MPG? It just doesn't happen (& if it does - then it's all in the mind!).

Modern car engines have VERY powerful computers (more powerful than the Apollo 13 mission Space Shuttle - that is fact!). Your modern ECU makes MILLIONS of calculations a second to determine how much fuel to tell the high pressure sensor to inject into the cylinders for any given throttle depression. Most modern cars don't even have a metal cable between the accelerator pedal & the throttle body - it's all electronic "fly by wire".

To pay extra for 98RON over 95RON is a BIG mistake if you have a modern car (2000 on). You WILL get a slightly cleaner engine - if you plan to run the car for 10 years+. Otherwise you are just throwing your hard earned cash down the toilet. And in my experience, you will see a REDUCTION in your mpg. Just fill up with ASDA 95RON(y)

Unless you run a Subaru Imprezza or a Mitsubishi Evo or something with a big turbo!.

Actually it works in a new car better than it does an old car due to modern car's knock sensors. They can retect pre-detination and retard timing to prevent it. Higher octane fuel means it can be higher compression/temp before pre-detonating.

Unless you run a Subaru Imprezza or a Mitsubishi Evo or something with a big turbo!.

Sorry Chris, in this instance I don't agree with you. As I said, it is all in the mind. In 1997 I briefly owned a Ferarri F355 Spider (Ex- Martin Brundle's red freebie when he drove for them) - until the service quotes became ridiculous. Initially I ran it on 98RON - perfectly OK. Them on 95RON & noticed NO difference. I then tried a little experiment & tried some 110 Octane F3 Jet Fuel mixed with 95 RON in it. - No difference:(

I rest my case:eek: .

Iam with Mike.....the only difference you will notice will be a "thinner than usual wallet"

Well the Ferrari's F355's 3.5L V8 only runs 11.0:1 compression which isn't really enough to take advantage of it unless its 're-tuned'. Where as modern Imprezza's and Evo's are tuned to run on nothing but High octane fuel and run very poorly on regular 95RON. I totally agree with you that MOST cars will not benefit at all.

You but AVGAS in a car! that took some balls :eek:.

crikey mike you do go off on 1, then you always mention you had a ferrari

"I DISAGREE WITH YOU! ALL OF YOU!, I MEEN I USED TO HAVE A FERRARI, YOU NO? SO I NO WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT ALL THE TIME"

:p

crikey mike you do go off on 1, then you always mention you had a ferrari

"I DISAGREE WITH YOU! ALL OF YOU!, I MEEN I USED TO HAVE A FERRARI, YOU NO? SO I NO WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT ALL THE TIME"

:p

Lol, you mention another car you have had everytime you post, you must of driven more performance cars than Jeremy Clarkson ;) or are you James May in disguise?

lol i can see another thread goin off topic here again. lol but i do agree that it does make a difference to cars like impreza's and evo's. a friend of mine has a skyline and he was running it on the usual stuff and it just weren't boostin right, took ages to work out why, changed turbos, everything, then tried some high octane and it workes fine now. (y) great for driftin :slayer:

ive been running optimax in my GP for a few months now and i seem to be getting more MPG out of a tank I used to put about £15 a week in with normal Unleaded and after a few weeks of using optimax it evened out at the £15 a week. even though its more expensive. and im doing the same mileage..

noticed a slight increase in poke for a week or so but then it settled down suppose the ECU realised it was getting spoilt and reduced the amount injected :confused:

Actually, although my empirical tests have proven to me without a doubt that, given a car with a brainy enough ECU, it DOES make a difference to the performance/driveability, even I must admit to getting slightly worrying, lower-than-usual mpg on the Shell V-Power Diesel I treat myself to now and again.

I fully intend to revert to BP Ultimate diesel to see if it is any better (one thing's for sure, at £1.01 per litre it will not be any better for my wallet, that's why I used th 5p off per litre voucher at Tesco today. Who needs all those additives anyway!).

Here's the sting: the BEST ever mpg I ever got was when I had 94% diesel and 6% unleaded in the same tank!

a bbc report that was released on the bbc wnews today!!!!!

"
Superfuels 'are not worth it'

Spending extra money to fill up your car with 'superfuels'? New research claims premium brand petrols aren't much better than cheaper ones. What Car? magazine found the more expensive ones don't always give more miles to the gallon."

Back