Technical Bought a stilo..pls help!

Currently reading:
Technical Bought a stilo..pls help!

ryn079

Good evening,

I bought a Stilo 1.6 3 dr with oanoramic roof with 47k miles on the clock. It is a 2002. We bought it as an idiot totalled my wife's Touran, and she needed a car to take the kids around.

Besides the skyroof not working, I need a new skyroof if someone has one, the car has a ticking noise, which seems to fluctuate with revs. I changed the tbelt as i tought it could be the tensioner or idler but noise persists. Car has good power but is a little bit jerky on idle. Proper timing tools were used. I am thinking it could be tappets or what else?

Do not know if the cylinder head has been tempered around with.

can someone please help as I am short on cash and really feel lost without a car.

Thanks in advance.

Does the noise go away when you put the clutch in?

No it doesn't, gearbox is leaking from the inside, but i do not think it is related.

No it does not have a variator.

To recap, car has:
1) ticking noise throughout the rev range
2) judders on idle
3)very low mpg, in the average of 20mpg.

Serviced the car with new filters, oil, sparkplugs and timing belt.

No errors on FiatEcuScan, only the barometer and temperature sensor due to the disconnection of the connector whilst driving.

Please help! :cry:

Hi guys,

mpg is in the region of 32-37mpg, after resetting the trip computer.

My only problem is the juddering at idle and ticking noise throughout the rev range.

Please help.....

I filled her up with semi-synthetic 10-40, and i just came to know that the car has had the engine opened, probably due to overheating.........

Part of the sunroof mechanism is broken so this will need replacing.

As for the engine, the mechanic who worked on the car said that they had changed a valve due to the ticking noise. How did they diagnose the valve that needed changing?

To me it seems more the tappets which could need doing. Can someone please explain?

Part of the sunroof mechanism is broken so this will need replacing.

As for the engine, the mechanic who worked on the car said that they had changed a valve due to the ticking noise. How did they diagnose the valve that needed changing?

To me it seems more the tappets which could need doing. Can someone please explain?

Too me, at some point in its life is being running very low on oil and the top end has been starved of oil. This is common on the Fiat sister brand Alfa with the 1.6 petrol engine.

Try a full flush, then replenish the oil and see if it goes away...

Hi guys,

removed the sump yesterday and found the oil pump strainer almost completely blocked with hard deposits, like dry sludge, definitely nothing metal as i checked with a magnet.

I also found out that one of my big end bearings is scratched. Cleaned strainer, re-changed the oil, but car is still ticking. I have bought a bravo 1.6 head complete with camshafts and tappets and i am currently cleaning the tappets.

Have no idea what to do next...

One last thing, will a bravo/a/marea engine fit in the stilo 1.6?

hi guys,

does anyone know the interchangeability between bravo/a/marea 1.6 heads and the stilo ones?

it looks like some stilos, including mine have a metallic head gasket....why is this, and can I use a head which uses normal head gaskets?

any info would be great as car is not driving good and i hate it!

Thanks.

Back