Technical Bottom pulley timing mark?

Currently reading:
Technical Bottom pulley timing mark?

richie.guy

Established member
Is the red arrow pointing to the correct timing mark?

003.jpg

Reason I ask is mine is ground away (lord knows why?!) so it's a bit of guess work. If anyone knows how many mm down from the top of the section the original mark is that would be excellent so I can time it up properly :)

hmm when i done mine, i couldn't find mine either, so i just use a saw, saw a bit off, and made a mark on the pulley.

When i finished belts on tensiors on, then i just spin the button pulley twice, and see if the mark for the cam pulley goes back to the same mark, if it is, then timing is correct. (Info from rallycinq :D)

Ming

Arc, is it right at the end of that plate then? This is where I lined it up to (tried 1/2 way first with no joy) and it's running OK but it's not spot on.

ycming, I'll try that at the weekend :) Sure it's out a little though.

The idea of the two turns is to make sure both pulleys end up in the same place. If you are just starting the job, and everything is alright up to now, get the can pulley in the right place, then make your own set of marks at the crank end.

Cheers

PD

The idea of the two turns is to make sure both pulleys end up in the same place. If you are just starting the job, and everything is alright up to now, get the can pulley in the right place, then make your own set of marks at the crank end.

I maybe missing the point but 2 turns is 360 degrees so if the bottom pulley was out of line to begin with it would still be out of line at the end of the cycle, but it would line up with the original incorrect marks and you'd still be at square 1.

The belt's been off a couple of times unfortunately.

how are you setting the timing?

That mark is not for setting the belt too, the belt should be set to the mark on the wheel. And the mark on the wheel should be set to the mark on the oil pump assembly. With all them alligned - the other mark on the belt should allign with the mark on the cam sprocket, which should allign with the mark on the cam cover.

I maybe missing the point but 2 turns is 360 degrees so if the bottom pulley was out of line to begin with it would still be out of line at the end of the cycle, but it would line up with the original incorrect marks and you'd still be at square 1.

Ah no. The belt may turn 360 degrees at the bottom, but it only turns 180 degrees at the top, bigger pulley.

Cheers

PD

how are you setting the timing?

That mark is not for setting the belt too, the belt should be set to the mark on the wheel. And the mark on the wheel should be set to the mark on the oil pump assembly. With all them alligned - the other mark on the belt should allign with the mark on the cam sprocket, which should allign with the mark on the cam cover.

Line up the cam pulley with the notch on the head.
Line up the crank pulley (as best I can).
Slip the belt on.
Check the belt lines line up with the marks on the pulleys.

Timing can still be out if the bottom pulley isn't in the right position to beginw ith even if the lines on the belt and pulleys and cam pulley lines up with the mark on the head :eek:

Ah no. The belt may turn 360 degrees at the bottom, but it only turns 180 degrees at the top, bigger pulley.

Then I still don't know if it's correct. I don't think I'm understanding what you're saying to me. The pulleys are fixed when the belt is wrong, the cam and crank pulley can be at different positions in their 360 degree cycle and still line up with the marks on the belt.

Well, it's out at the minute and the top pulley lined up with the notch in the head, bottom pulley is nearly right and the belt lines up with the lines on both pulleys :confused:

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well. I've done timing belts plenty of times and on more complex engines than a 1.1 8v cinq lol

Last edited:
hmm did u find that the bottom pulley move a notch when u try to tighten it ???

Because i had that when i was doing mine, so i delibrately move the bottom pulley back a notch, so when the belt tighten, everything lines up as it should, but am not too sure if that is the correct way to do it !

Ming

Last edited:
The crank pulley stays in the same position.

The car runs 90% but I know the timing is out a little as it doesn't drive as it should.

I'll just fiddle at the weekend if no one knows how far down the mark is. Thanks for the advice anyway :)

I think the lining up the top and bottom pulley, only works when the timing is correct before the timing belt change.

If not may be follow the process from haynes and find the TDC ???

Ming

The marks are right all the time. The cam pully to head and crank pulley to block marks will always be right. There's no mark to line up the crank pulley hence the hassle.

Last edited:
Going to revive this old dead thread, I'm in EXACTLY the same boat and everyone gives me the same answers as above... Did you ever find a solution? "Line up marks on belt with crank" but if it's wrong to begin with (belt snapped so it's 100% wrong) it's always wrong

Back