Technical Both front sidelights occasionally stop working

Currently reading:
Technical Both front sidelights occasionally stop working

mj79

Hello everyone!

The car is a 2008 GP 1.3mjet with 117k km (~73k miles), I own it for almost 3 years (I'm it's 2nd owner). It's been well maintained, and didn't give me any trouble. Nothing has been customized, no custom lights or bulbs.

The issue is that both front sidelights (only front) stop working, and I get the "check running lights" message. Short and long lights work as they should, no issues there. This started last summer (almost a year ago), it was a very hot day and I was going over some bumpy road. I didn't even know it was that, as the yellow triangle and message turned off after half a minute (so I thought it was a loose bulb). A few days later it happened when I started the car, so I went out and checked all lights - both front sidelights. I turned off the car, turned it on again, everything fine. Then on a bumpy part of the road I get the triangle again, and after a few minutes I stop to check (it's the same), and when I restart the car the error is gone, front sidelights work. It might have happened once or twice more last year (I don't really remember), but during the winter and spring it never happened. Last few months (since weather got warmer), it started happening again and more often. As last few days have been really hot, the warning is almost always there, though it turns off and on sometimes (usually when I drive over a bumpy part of a road, which is even more annoying).

I assume it's a loose/bad connection/wire, less likely a fuse or a relay (I don't think there is one for sidelights). The thing is, I'm not really sure where to start and which connectors and wires to check. I researched online, but often I can't tell if people are writing about sidelights or short lights, which doesn't really help. As a side note, I have a multimeter, I can solder and have some experience fixing cars, but I mostly fix computer parts and household electronics for hobby.

You should go thru each bulb connector and clean it with electronic contact cleaner. Yes, rear lights too. All of them. There are some bad contacts for sure. (y)

The issue has been fixed, so hopefully I can help someone else.

The problem was a connector located below the engine bay fuse box, in front of the wheel arch. The wheel arch has a removable cover, which is used for changing direction indicator bulb. Unfortunately, that cover doesn't fit perfectly, so water and mud can find a way to these connectors. It was a cheap fix, detached the connectors and applied electronic contact cleaner. Also, if you're going to do it yourself, you should have some kind of diagnostic, after re-attaching everything, there was an unrelated error (I never had that one).

This thread has good pictures of the area, the connectors can be seen at the bottom right corner of 4th image (those blue plastic parts secure the connection, and have to be pulled up to detach the connectors).

Back