Technical Both airbag lights on

Currently reading:
Technical Both airbag lights on

Dan Solo

Hi all, long time lurker, you certainly provide a wealth of information on here!

My 2006 panda 1.1 active (actually with a 1.2 punto engine in there now) has both airbag lights on the dash. I replace the switch in the glove box but the error code 14 won't clear.

Looking at other threads, could it be the same case as the punto where it needs the wiring loom kit made by Fiat?

I checked under the seats for any plugs/corroded connections as well but couldn't find anything.

Hi all, long time lurker, you certainly provide a wealth of information on here!

My 2006 panda 1.1 active (actually with a 1.2 punto engine in there now) has both airbag lights on the dash. I replace the switch in the glove box but the error code 14 won't clear.

Looking at other threads, could it be the same case as the punto where it needs the wiring loom kit made by Fiat?

I checked under the seats for any plugs/corroded connections as well but couldn't find anything.
i have no idea what error 14 is ?

Its not the type of code i get reading the TRW Airbag module any chance of crash data being stored

as far as i see it you have no option except to try and access the airbag ECU using something like multiecuscan, wow or delphi, with either a multiplexer or correct adaptor

it will either tell you what the problem is, tell you what the resistance to each module

or

if there will be no communication it will be due to a faulty airbag module or wiring . Under the dash in the centre

no the standard Panda without any optional airbags has not got any common airbag wiring faults that i know of

Thanks for getting back Koalar

When I got the error code it said 'passenger airbag exclusion switch open circuit'

I wonder if the replacement switch is duff, if I remember right it's just a 100ohm and 400ohm resistor in it

Attachments

• IMG_20230405_163759.jpg
    IMG_20230405_163759.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 19
Great that's just a break in the wiring or switch nothing too serious

usually due to someone removing the glovebox before removing the switch

leave it with me i will find the circuit diagram

When I got the error code it said 'passenger airbag exclusion switch open circuit'

I wonder if the replacement switch is duff, if I remember right it's just a 100ohm and 400ohm resistor in it

I broke my switch.. removing the glovebox to access heater matrix :-(

A new switch didnt put the lights off

Both Yellow and Red were constant..

It was then I bought my MES package.. worked fine (y)

right

fairly simple circuit

the switch has two resistors (red vertical lines) it switches between them to register if the passenger airbag is active or not

I'd start by testing the new switch, It just pops out with a credit card or similar.

if that's okay we can move on to the C050 earth. But i assume that's okay as other functions use it

airbag.png

I broke my switch.. removing the glovebox to access heater matrix :-(

A new switch didnt put the lights off

Both Yellow and Red were constant..

It was then I bought my MES package.. worked fine (y)
yes they don't self clear, yes this is the same error as a broken switch

unfortunately @Dan Solo will not be able to clear the code as his screen shot says the fault is still present

hopefully it will just be a fail on fit part (FOF), Otherwise the wiring is probably damaged

Have you tried clearing the fault with the switch in both positions, this would tell you if one of the internal resistors is blown. But wouldn’t really help if they were both blown.

As you can see from the diagram the circuit is very simple. On the Punto the problem was caused by an electrical interference on the ground that was fixed by installing its own seperate ground away from the rest of the dash loom earth wires. As far as I am aware this isn’t an issue on a panda, but could be if you have a lot of aftermarket devices or an aftermarket radio fitted to the same ground as the exclusion switch.

It’s one wire and you have a break somewhere along its length so it should be easy to fault find, or just install a new earth to ground from the switch.

As indicated above I would argue that if you know what you’re doing there should be no risk in using a meter on the switch or the wiring to the switch, the issue would come if you started injecting voltage and current into say the multi plug at the airbag ECU and sent that power down lines going to an airbag, the airbag switch or any of its wires will not cause the airbag to trigger.

Still disconnect the battery before pulling things about

Hi all,

I remember at the time of reading the codes that it did register the switch being in the off position so after the confirmation it most likely wasn't a wiring issue I took the switch out and lo and behold it was a break at the 100ohm resistor.
Quick lick of the soldering iron, everything metered out OK on both the 100 and 400ohm, stuck it back into the panda and the dash cleared when I started it up!

I very much appreciate the help, just need new front calipers and a ball joint and we're back on the road.

Attachments

• 1680944475423389703503058571149.jpg
    1680944475423389703503058571149.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
If you have broken the switch, as I did.... You will not get it working again. I tried everything and it would not behave. A new switch put it all right straight away. Auto doc have them at the best price I have seen if you cannot get a used one from a breakers yard.

Back