Technical boot release micro switch

Currently reading:
Technical boot release micro switch

123barney

The boot release handle will not work except with the remote key to open it.
Have been told by dealer the whole unit ( chrome handle/number plate lights would have to be replaced. Is there no way to replace the micro switch?
Will check before hand if there is dirt or anything else that might be suspect, could I be that lucky :slayer: 59plate 1.2 Pop. Cheers.

Is there no way to replace the micro switch?

Depends on how handy you are & how innovative you can be at sourcing components. I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible to repair it, but don't expect anyone in the motor trade to try.

Before doing anything else, spray the innards with an electrical contact cleaner - it will shift any dirt & might well get it working again. Don't be tempted to use WD40 - it attacks some plastics and leaves a greasy residue which will ultimately attract even more dirt.

When this happened to me I used the electrical contact cleaner 'Maplins' but that was only partially sucessful. Its the hinge mec. that gets bungged up not the micro switch.
If you are careful use your finger nail or someting fine like a electrical tie-wrap to free the button. You will find there is about 2-3mm of movement.

I found the solution was to 'wedge' a small piece of rubber into the gap to act as a sping. I used a cut off from an old wiper blade. :idea:
12 months on and it works fine.
If you are worried just cut a length 5cm and poke the end in leaving 2.5cm proud. Try for a week it won't fall out.

Richard

Thanks both for the replies, not having much chance to investigate the problem till now, I checked out the mechanism, and having operated it a few times, it seems to have released correctly, and I can hear the micro switch working on and off. I have given the plastic hinge just the slightest smear of thin oil, and may well get some contact cleaner to spray into the 3mm gap for good measure.
Lets hope that cures the problem, I think it may also be caused by lack of use on the hinge. :)

My 2008 1.4 sport had the same problem. I bought it about 6 weeks ago from a stealer and until about two weeks ago didn't even realise that there was a button on the boot handle itself! I thought it was odd but just thought Fiat had put the release on the key and that was that. When I found out that there should be a switch I tried electrical contact cleaner, WD40 and finally ACF50 anti corrosion spray which I use on my motorbike but nothing solved it.

Fortunately for me, despite the car being 5 years old it came with a 12 month warranty and I sent it back to the stealer (Parks Fiat in East Kilbride) yesterday and they fitted a completely new boot handle FOC. :D
Apparently it's quite a common problem. If that's the case you have to wonder why Fiat have not redesigned it with a rubber cover or suchlike to stop the crud from getting to the hinge and/or microswitch in the first place.

Back