Technical Boot light

Currently reading:
Technical Boot light

Mgp33

Hi

I have a boot light in a fiat 500 lounge that won’t switch off. I have disconnected the bulb but I can’t work out what controls the off and on of the bulb. Can anyone advise where the switch is that shuts the bulb off when the boot is shut. Has anyone had the same issue and how was it fixed?

Many thanks

Hi

I have a boot light in a fiat 500 lounge that won’t switch off. I have disconnected the bulb but I can’t work out what controls the off and on of the bulb. Can anyone advise where the switch is that shuts the bulb off when the boot is shut. Has anyone had the same issue and how was it fixed?

Many thanks

Welcome, do you get a "boot open" warning on the dash even when properly closed? at start up.
How old is the car? there's a common fault with the wires that go to the boot lid, I suspect this could be the issue.

100% this will be tailgate wiring!

We had exactly this on the Lounge and it's where the insulation splits on each wire or the wire actually breaks within the convoluted rubber boot between the roof and the tailgate up on the nears side aperture. The boot light is switched by the tailgate latch. That wire is touching the earth wire which will also have split insulation. If the tailgate is not randomly opening, number plate lights going on and off or the HRW doesn't work / blows fuses, it won't be long.

It needs a tailgate wiring repair. I did ours last weekend and it's the first time we've had a working boot light for 2 years!

I have exactly the opposite issue (permanently off) and its not the wiring. On mine its the boot latch as it has a micro switch built in to it.
If you remove the boot latch and unplug it, the light should go off. If it stays on, its a short in the wiring.

No, there is no warning coming on. The auto open from the key still works. It’s just the light will not switch off. I was thinking it may be the switch in the latch that had stuck but I now suspect that it’s the wires near the hinge that are broken.

To be honest, if it was the wiring loom I would expect it to be intermittent, at least changing​ when the boot was opened. My money is on the latch.

Back