General boot light

Currently reading:
General boot light

Bournemouths got a football team? Whatever next:)
I have indeed fitted the strips but not taken a pic yet, they do look superb and the VW paint is virtually spot on:)

Indeed Bournemouth do. I remember a few years ago going to the play-offs between Bournemouth and Lincoln at the Millenium Stadium.
Bournemouth won 5 - 2. On leaving the stadium, the BBC local news crew from the West Country picked on me to interview. I'd never even seen them play before so I got them to give my father-in-law his 15 seconds of fame instead. He was a proper die-hard Bournemouth fan and gave an oscar winning performance to the camera.

Grimwau remember to take a few pics when you fit the lamp. (y)

WHATS THE STATUS OF THE BOOT LIGHT ??:confused:

dont forget the pics and running commentary for the "how to" section ,if there is one

For goodness sake, I can stay at home and get all the nagging I need there. :D

OK, so here you are, my mini or miniscule guide (posh word for How To) for retro fitting a bootlight to the Sport (possibly Pop) 500. For those not aware of the fact that this is omitted during production due to costs it is a 5 minute job to fit your own, mine came from chris@souls .... eventually.... just kidding Chris!

1) Lower the seat back (if you have that option) to give a little more space. Remove posi screw that holds the NS parcel shelf support to the body and also the plastic push in clip that holds the carpet to the body.

2) Pull carpet from beneath the plastic covering on the NSR wing and also from behind the parcel shelf support.

3) Locate the wires for the boot light (mine were taped to part of the loom behind the NSR seat belt mechanism), feed them through the aperture and connect to lamp assembly and shield your eyes .... just kidding. At this stage you could start your dynamating of the NSR wheel arch. What do you know .. two guides for the price of one.

4) Refit the carpet and screw(s) (if you have any left over you're a moron and your car should be confiscated)

5) Slide lamp upwards into the aperture and push the lower edge to lock into position.

6) Stand back and admire your handiwork/handywork (delete as appropriate).

(I Don't have a photo of that as I can't multitask)

Good guide Tony, And you would have had it quicker if you worked a proper working week and done Saturdays! :p

I can do the lamps for £14.50 inc VAT and post to anyone on here ;)

I'll add my twopenny worth here.

It's the same light as for the Panda - surprise surprise.

Now you may think that a birthday cake candle has more power, but when it's dark that ickle light is plenty enough to see what you are doing (tested one dark damp night changing a flat tyre :bang:).

The light is a piece of cake to fit, hell, I fitted mine :D :D so you lot have NO excuse !!!

And yep Chris supplied me too (y)

Trev

I'll add my twopenny worth here.

It's the same light as for the Panda - surprise surprise.

Now you may think that a birthday cake candle has more power, but when it's dark that ickle light is plenty enough to see what you are doing (tested one dark damp night changing a flat tyre :bang:).

The light is a piece of cake to fit, hell, I fitted mine :D :D so you lot have NO excuse !!!

And yep Chris supplied me too (y)

Trev

Certainally did, cheers Trev! (y)

For goodness sake, I can stay at home and get all the nagging I need there. :D

OK, so here you are, my mini or miniscule guide (posh word for How To) for retro fitting a bootlight to the Sport (possibly Pop) 500. For those not aware of the fact that this is omitted during production due to costs it is a 5 minute job to fit your own, mine came from chris@souls .... eventually.... just kidding Chris!

1) Lower the seat back (if you have that option) to give a little more space. Remove posi screw that holds the NS parcel shelf support to the body and also the plastic push in clip that holds the carpet to the body.

2) Pull carpet from beneath the plastic covering on the NSR wing and also from behind the parcel shelf support.

3) Locate the wires for the boot light (mine were taped to part of the loom behind the NSR seat belt mechanism), feed them through the aperture and connect to lamp assembly and shield your eyes .... just kidding. At this stage you could start your dynamating of the NSR wheel arch. What do you know .. two guides for the price of one.

4) Refit the carpet and screw(s) (if you have any left over you're a moron and your car should be confiscated)

5) Slide lamp upwards into the aperture and push the lower edge to lock into position.

6) Stand back and admire your handiwork/handywork (delete as appropriate).

(I Don't have a photo of that as I can't multitask)

Think the mods should move this to a "how to" section.
Brilliant wee write up Tony. (y)

We can't. Guide section is a different format to the standard sections. So can't move them.

A guide could maybe be created to go alongside Pearces excellent sound insulation one though.
If you fancy it Grimwau? :cool:

It seems such a simple job I thought writing a guide would be OTT, indeed, may possibly have been seen as an insult to forum members intelligence, and I'd never do that. :D

However, if anyone really does want a guide done I am more than willing to do so.

Last edited:
It seems such a simple job I thought writing a guide would be OTT, indeed, may possibly have been seen as an insult to forum members intelligence, and I'd never do that. :D

However, if anyone really does want a guide done I am more than willing to do so.

Go for it Tony.
It may be a simple job but not everyone is good at this kind of stuff.

Do it on Sat Tony, afterall you won't be working ;)

Lol

But if you look at the times of a lot my posts they are done whilst you are still snoring away in bed, (allegedly). :D

Anyway, I'll be busy on Saturday, touching up the stone chips with that pen you kindly sent (eventually) and maybe working on a little flyer to entice new 500 owners to the forum. Our very own unofficial 500 spotter for Bournemouth (aka Heidi) is then going to threaten the owners to join..... or else! :slayer:

Last edited:
Just want to add one thing to the boot light guide that may save anyone else fitting one some time.

When I had fitted the boot light I put all the other bits and pieces back and then I noticed that the light had gone out. Did the usual things, tapped it, swore at it, pleaded with it, ... you get the gist. Anyway it stayed off so I took it all apart again to see if a wire has come off even though I know it couldn't have as it is part of the loom. Sure enough, nothing amiss so I shut the boot lid and then opened it again and it worked.

Seems that there is a timer that actuates after 15 minutes or so that switches the light off, I suppose to stop the battery going down too much. Clever idea but not common knowledge so I hope my little faux pas will save anyone else that hassle.

Oh bloody hell. Why don't they fit these piddling cheap little (but useful) things as standard across the range and stop pissing about.

Just got in and checking my emails, and the Forum, and seeing yet more questioning about what shouldn't even be questionable - just standard fittings.

Fiat: fit bootlights and vanity mirror lights, and aircon, as standard across the range - these things are necessary. Let punters 'choose' non essential rubbish like stripes and wheel shapes etc... jeez, I get so pissed off by seeing the agonising people have to go through to get such simple and useful amenities. Standard fit of these things would boost sales and cost practically nothing - you Italian idiots.

There: feel better now. Bedtime...;)

Last edited:
Go for it Tony.
It may be a simple job but not everyone is good at this kind of stuff.

Do it on Sat Tony, afterall you won't be working ;)Lol

James, who it appears is a glutton for punishment, has offered to write the guide for me and after reading his excellent work with the soundproofing article I felt that he will do a much better job than me.

ps. this has nothing to do with me being lazy. :eek:

Back