Technical boot button on remote key

Currently reading:
Technical boot button on remote key

Cian

Established member
Does this actually do anything? On the MJ we have in the family it opens the boot lock but the boot doesn't actually have a key hole in it - on my 100HP it appears to do absolutely nothing; I always have to unlock the boot with the key shaft.

Is it just superfluous or do I have a broken key? Just one of the weird things about the car I've found so far (that and the toolkit being under the passenger seat for no apparent reason!)

Hold the button down for 2-3 seconds and it should open the boot without unlocking the rest of the car. It doesn't work if the ignition's on though.

Yep, that's how I remember the remote key of my Punto working...

You need to be patient - I thought mine wasn't working but - as HP. wrote - it actually works 100% if you hold it down for several seconds - same on our MJ and 100HP. By the way - remember NOT to put the keys in the boot as the boot is still locked when you shut it.

Went and tested at lunch and it works; the one on the MJ Panda and the Grande are much faster though.

Went and tested at lunch and it works; the one on the MJ Panda and the Grande are much faster though.

I noticed it was super fast (quick press) on the Grande Punto I had as a courtesy car while the 100hp was in for repairs.

Just wish it would lift the entire boot lid when it pops it open, big spring me thinks...

I don't think there is enough room in the boot for the toolkit. It is a pain I agree, but other than putting the toolkit in the boot where it will bounce around I think the only option is to keep it under the seat. It's a shame because it's a bit of an afterthought really.

I must admit I haven't had a look at the spare to see if there is anyway of stowing it in the wheel hub recess. Though i'm guessing this isn't an option.

With regard to the boot opener, well yes it doesn't do a lot apart from nudge the boot so it is free of the lock mechanism. I generally just use the central locking button to unlock the boot and do it that way. Mainly because after loading the boot i'm normally getting in the car to drive it anyway.

You should never have to use the key in any of the locks with remote opening/locking.

Last edited:
I don't think there is enough room in the boot for the toolkit. It is a pain I agree, but other than putting the toolkit in the boot where it will bounce around I think the only option is to keep it under the seat. It's a shame because it's a bit of an afterthought really.

I must admit I haven't had a look at the spare to see if there is anyway of stowing it in the wheel hub recess. Though i'm guessing this isn't an option.

When i had my 100hp the tool kit was in a proper mount in the spare wheel. It seems Fiat changed it to the bag about a year later.

Attachments

• img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

Just wish it would lift the entire boot lid when it pops it open, big spring me thinks...
You should take a look at the Honda Accord estate.
A button that fully opens the boot and another that closes it without you even touching it!
I could play with that for hours but then, I was always a bit simple!

My '05 Panda 4x4 had the toolkit mounted in an expanded polystyrene tray that ran across the whole boot floor, under the carpet. A pain as it made access to the spare difficult and it reduced boot capacity by raising the floor.
The Panda cross has the toolkit in a sturdy bag under the driver's seat and I'm happier with this arrangement.

I'd take the bag under the seat over the polystyerene tray, but the Active (brothers) and Dynamic MJ (mothers/spare mostly) Pandas in the family have the toolkit in a plastic inset inside the spare! As Geminifm shows...

Mines in the boot now along with a whole other pile of 'breakdown stuff' which is forever getting used and abused by my colleagues and never used on my own car. Everything including the toolkit bag is velcroed (by design) so doesn't move about and I still have half the boot for the tiny amount of shopping I ever need to throw in..

Last edited:
When i had my 100hp the tool kit was in a proper mount in the spare wheel. It seems Fiat changed it to the bag about a year later.

They also mount the spare the other way up now too :( When I first got the car, I did have a play around seeing if I could hide the tools away, but without luck so I've left them in the bag in the boot. On the plus side, the bag does have industrial strength velcro on it so it doesn't move around.

Chris

Back