Technical bonnet release

Currently reading:
Technical bonnet release

i have noticed that my bonnet release handle is a little slack and sticks out quite a bit from its original position as if its been pulled without pulling it. hope that makes sense... anyways, i was wondering if this would be due to the cable needing adjustment, and if so, how do i do that... or would i need to replace the cable and handle altogether. the bonnet still pops when i pull the handle but feels slack and im worried that it might brake off or something.

Actually, Dave has just reminded me, do give the mechanism a good clean and an oiling/greasing. I remember that my girlfriend's latch got so gummed up that the bonnet wouldn't shut properly, and there was slack in the cable because the latch wasn't able to return to the rest position. A few minute's work with plenty of WD-40 and a disused electric toothbrush soon has it cleaned up, and then a light layer of grease kept the action smooth.

result, turns out that all it needed was a good clean. cable seems to be in pretty good shape, very slight bit of rust but thats it. took it off, cleaned it up put it back and all works fine. bonnet pops fine and handle snaps back to the correct position. saved me 30 quid and a load of hastle. :-D

Back