Styling Bodyshop

Currently reading:
Styling Bodyshop

lambert82

It's not Pete's,it's Mine
...sold an item on e-bay (non car related) and with the persons father working in the same town as I live, he asked if i'd drop it off. When he said goto Stoneacre Suzuki and ask for Paul in the bodyshop I thought I was onto a winner. When I got there i asked him about doing the work on my Cinq, and he said it wouldn't be a problem, he was the person who gave the quotes at the garage, but he also said that he does work from home aswell (for cash obviously) He said he has just been finishing off his friends cars for Donny spraying up some parts etc, so I thought even better if he's had cars there too.

He only works some evenings and weekends at home on cars, so it would take longer than normal, but said parts like my bumpers and skirts etc could be left with him to do, so I still had use of my car to use..

The cost for spraying my skirts, rear Abarth Bumper, Spoiler, doing the modified Sei/Cinq Front Bumper, sorting out a bit of suface rust, then spraying the bonnet wings etc to blend in...£500

Now i don't know much about bodywork, and obviously I'd like to see some of his work, but if he works in a main dealer it can't be bad.

Still got another contact to check, but roll on Stanford Hall....

Ps. This was the same garage my Sei got took too when i crashed it, coincidence, shame they couldn't of repaired it..

lambert82 said:
The cost for spraying my skirts, rear Abarth Bumper, Spoiler, doing the modified Sei/Cinq Front Bumper, sorting out a bit of suface rust, then spraying the bonnet wings etc to blend in...£500

Now i don't know much about bodywork, and obviously I'd like to see some of his work, but if he works in a main dealer it can't be bad.
repaired it..

Personally for a back hander job thats quite deer as youll have no guarantee and no comeback through civil claims court if the work was crap as its not done at a BUSINESS premises.

Also on my work experience i worked in a very well known F*RD bodyshop and some of the jobs they did were astonishing in a bad way id never seen a whole tub of filler used on a panel before then, being main dealer means nothing.

Not meaning to criticise when he might actually be good but id hate to think he could rip me off for £500 and id have no guarantee but its your choice and the car will be good when finnished just make sure you dont get ripped off and make sure you have at least 2 contact numbers for him you dont want parts going missing

As Younger Modder said, just cos he works for a main dealer doesn't mean his work is up to your standard or that he won't take ages over it or mess you about. Ask to see some of his work or a current repair job before even thinking of saying yes.

500 quid does seem a bit strong, especially when you can get 3 for 2 on spray paint in Halfords at the mo ;) A few weekends work and voila! Just take your time and don't be afraid to ask if you are not sure.
Or you could do the prepping and priming yourself and then get the top coats applied at a bodyshop. You would get a factory finish for a lot less cash than if you had given the whole job to the bodyshop.

I'd get a few quotes - Go to George Kanes like I did and see how much they'll do you for - I'm sure it won't be as much as I'm paying with all my wk that they're doing so it's worth a shot. I can be the guinea pig n u can see what they do wit mine and then if the job's a winner and the price is right - at least then you'll have a legal leg to stand on if god forbid things went tits up

...My dads mate has a bodyshop, so I'll try that avenue next. I've set aside about £1000 to £1,200 for me Cinq, so when I heard £500 I was buzzing...

Wouldn't risk doing it myself, even if Halfords spray paint is cheap lol

Thanks for the advice

Back