Technical body management computer goes banana's

Currently reading:
Technical body management computer goes banana's

Markevle

Hi there, since there were not many responses to my earlier questions i'd like to bring this again under your attention:

My son has a punto mkll 2002 188A4000 1.2 lit engine with "some issues". Hoping to find some answers here. On wet days the body management computer goes banana's. When the car is parked, suddely the indicator lights start burning constantly (not flashing) draining the battery, and then the startblokking sign (yellow key) keeps on burning and the engine wont start. Also the fuel indicator stays low and de citylights won't work etc...
Sometimes when we dis / reconnect the battery it seems ok again but after a minute or so it happens all again. Sofar we have checked and cleaned all grounding points in the car, checked the cables and wiring for shortcircuits and corrosion but it seems ok. We checked the BCM solderings but no result Sofar.
We have also changed the BCM itself including the matching contactkey, then everything seems stable only we get no startpermission, i think further key programming is nessesary?
Does it ring a Bell.? Maybe has someone experience with this phenomena?

Thanks for your support and suggestions, Marijn

Hi there, since there were not many responses to my earlier questions i'd like to bring this again under your attention:

My son has a punto mkll 2002 188A4000 1.2 lit engine with "some issues". Hoping to find some answers here. On wet days the body management computer goes banana's. When the car is parked, suddely the indicator lights start burning constantly (not flashing) draining the battery, and then the startblokking sign (yellow key) keeps on burning and the engine wont start. Also the fuel indicator stays low and de citylights won't work etc...
Sometimes when we dis / reconnect the battery it seems ok again but after a minute or so it happens all again. Sofar we have checked and cleaned all grounding points in the car, checked the cables and wiring for shortcircuits and corrosion but it seems ok. We checked the BCM solderings but no result Sofar.
We have also changed the BCM itself including the matching contactkey, then everything seems stable only we get no startpermission, i think further key programming is nessesary?

I am sure some one here has more specific knowledge, but have you read all the fault codes using something like Fiat Multiscan and when all codes cleared run the "proxi alignment" program to tell the ECU and BCM etc to talk nicely to each other ;).
You may also have issues due to your s/h BCM having data from previous vehicle?
I had to fit a new BCM due to seat sensor faulty repair damaging it, but still had to run the "proxi alignment" on a Punto Evo

I am sure some one here has more specific knowledge, but have you read all the fault codes using something like Fiat Multiscan and when all codes cleared run the "proxi alignment" program to tell the ECU and BCM etc to talk nicely to each other ;).
You may also have issues due to your s/h BCM having data from previous vehicle?
I had to fit a new BCM due to seat sensor faulty repair damaging it, but still had to run the "proxi alignment" on a Punto Evo
Thanks for your rappid response, appreciate that!
We've read and cleared the existing fault codes with an OBD dongle, but still they keep comming back after a while.
Yesterday i received a ELM327 interface to use with the fiat multiscan software, so i'd like to try your suggestion to run the "proxi alignment.
can you tell m,e in which section i can find this?

Thanks for your rappid response, appreciate that!
We've read and cleared the existing fault codes with an OBD dongle, but still they keep comming back after a while.
Yesterday i received a ELM327 interface to use with the fiat multiscan software, so i'd like to try your suggestion to run the "proxi alignment.
can you tell m,e in which section i can find this?
I can't help you there, there is a "multiscan " section on the Forum who I am sure will be able to advise you, I don't use it as it requires Windows OS and I use Linux OS.
What I did was the similar operation using my friends Snap On Zeus diagnostic tool.
As the BCM was brand new it had no "old data" stored on it to cause added problems.(y)

If you swap the old BCM eeprom to the new BCM the car will start. Simple job for a tech.

If you swap the old BCM eeprom to the new BCM the car will start. Simple job for a tech.
Ok, thats my occupation therefore should the swap be no problem. Do you perhaps have a picture of the eeprom on the circuit board? Any infornation regarding the BCM is very welcome

As you mentioned "on wet days". Is water getting in somewhere? I'm not sure where the car body controller is on these but if it's under the dashboard and the windscreen wiper tray drain hole is blocked, water could be seeping in somewhere. I've had this on other cars where it drips strait onto the control board!

As you mentioned "on wet days". Is water getting in somewhere? I'm not sure where the car body controller is on these but if it's under the dashboard and the windscreen wiper tray drain hole is blocked, water could be seeping in somewhere. I've had this on other cars where it drips strait onto the control board!
On daughters 2010 Punto Evo the BCM was in the centre, on the "transmission tunnel"? forward of the gear lever behind air ducting and plastic etc. Below dash board.

Thanks guys for your replys, i can say that we have searched for any sign of leakage under the dashboard, its dry as the desert, even on wet days. Also the paravan under the window whipers is not clogged and no debri there. We even checked the rear light units, but no signs of water there either. Thats whats puzzeling me! All cable connectors sofar we've seen are clean en well connecting. I think i have to set my hope on the donor BCM, and try to do a proxi alignment. If there's progres i will add it to this thread, Marijn

i had problems like that, after playing with the cables i removed the cable connected to the air conditioning condenser filter under the right headlight if you in the driver seat and everything worked perfectly since but lost air conditioning, after that i found that the problem is related to the fuse box in the engine bay so i bought a used fuse box from a scrab yard, the problem fixed.

Last edited:
People do have issues with the fuse box in the engine compartment , on one of daughters earlier cars, 06 Grande Punto it had no fuel pump or ignition which appeared to trace to that fuse box, however in the end I located a broken/rotted feed wire at the ECU that triggers the relay to do those functions at that fuse box.

Hello guys, after a long period of searching and trying and nearly pushing desperately the punto into the Chanel, we have decided to buy a complete second hand set of contactkey, BMC and ECU from a donor car at €60,-, build it into place, and the car started immediately, No more problems since ;-)
Thanks for all your support and patience, Marijn

Back