Technical Body Control Module fun.

Currently reading:
Technical Body Control Module fun.

Bigniven

I bought my daughter a 2009 Grande Punto last year and it has been fantastic - until now!

Over Christmas it started having the headlights come on randomly with the igniton off and keys out, this drained the battery a few times before it was noticed the lights had a mind of their own. The short term solution was to disconnect the battery (thanks to Fiat for the quick release on the negative terminal)

When I finally got round to having a proper look I found out that the lights were controlled by the BCM, also that the stalk could be an issue. I disconnected the stalk, but as soon as power was reconnected, keys out, the lights would come on again. This pointed me to the BCM being the likely culprit.

My next step was to nip the the scrap yard. They only had one Grande Punto (Evo) two years newer than mine. The BCM looked the same but had a different part number. I bought it anyway on abit of a gamble. Got home and fitted it, ignition on, the engine spun but didn't fire, and the yellow car and padlock symbol came up - I half expected a non start. Interestingly the lights worked as they should and also with the ignition off the lights stayed off. So this told me that the fault is the original BCM. This is also where my ideas run out!

Can I 're-code' the working BCM to my car somehow, without it costing a million pounds?!

You'll need to "virginize" the "new" BCM. Erase the code it has stored on and it will memorize your car's code on the first ignition on. There are people who do this operation and for sure, it won't cost you a million pounds.

Well... it would be the best to find them close to you. I know some, but they're close to me, so I don't think that helps you. The BCM I got myself had the code deleted, to do that you need a software and some computer tools to connect to BCM. Try searching your area "Fiat ECU virginization" or "IMMO Off" (although you cannot turn the IMMO off to Fiat, just delete the old code and it gets the car's code on first ignition on). These guys are everywhere, I expect you to find them!

Look, here are some of them...

Worth a look at this if you haven't already done so; check all earth points, battery connection and fusebox for moisture/corrosion

I've just had a quick peruse through that, I don't think it matches my symptoms, I think getting my ne'vw BCM to work in my car should solve my issue.

Is 'Virginisation' something that can be done with Multiecuscan?

No, unfortunately it isn't. Or, if it is, I don't know about it.
And yes, I don't know why oldmanhause put you that link (maybe he did not read your topic), but that wouldn't work with the problem you have. Now, with the new ECU, your car engine dosen't start because of IMMO. So that's what you need to fix.

The best option would be to buy a kit from eBay that includes the engine ECU, locks and keys with the BCM from another grande then with the engine ECU, keys and bcm all matching the car should start and run.

It may be worth looking to get your existing BCM repaired, I might just have some damp inside it.

Would a kit mean having to change all the doorlocks, ignition barrel, dashclocks etc to ensure it works? Is cloning the BCM that much of a risky option?

I have taken the BCM apart and to my untrained eye I can't see any signs of water ingress or cooked components.

As an update to this I seem to have resolved the issue. I sent my BCM's to a really helpful seller on ebay. Even though the part numbers of the BCMs didn't match he was willing to give it a try (at my own risk). I sent them off on the Monday, and had them back on the Wednesday, thats really quick service.

The final result? All fixed, so far so good, car starts and the lights don't come on at random!

https://m.ebay.co.uk/seller?sid=scooby_d00! Is the chap on ebay, Martin is his name, i'd highly recommend dealing with him.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Dear all,

Can someone post pinout schematic for BCM on GP Natural Power 1.4 8V.
I use E learn and when I compare BCM connector M001D from program and my actual car have difference in color and position of wires.

Thank you in advance for your help.

As an update to this I seem to have resolved the issue. I sent my BCM's to a really helpful seller on ebay. Even though the part numbers of the BCMs didn't match he was willing to give it a try (at my own risk). I sent them off on the Monday, and had them back on the Wednesday, thats really quick service.

The final result? All fixed, so far so good, car starts and the lights don't come on at random!

https://m.ebay.co.uk/seller?sid=scooby_d00! Is the chap on ebay, Martin is his name, i'd highly recommend dealing with him.
Tried finding this guy he’s Ghost

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back