Bmw Z3 2.8

Currently reading:
Bmw Z3 2.8

Right all, in continuing with my motor reviews, I thought I'd review my Dad's old banger. Had to drive it a bit though (darn!)

Approaching the little roadster is an unusual thing. Its small, a lot smaller than anything else adorned with a blue and white propeller (apart from the Z1) But it has all the presence of a much larger car. The long snout, the shark gills down the side and a backside J-Lo would be proud of. Getting in is suprisingly dignified and the door closes with a thump that a 5 series would be proud of.

All things good so far.

The seats are low, but heated leather, everything is where it should be. I'm scraping 6 foot and I have no problems with the roof up. But why would you have the roof up? A turn of the key and you are met with a sexual hum of a straight 6. You pull out of your drive way using a slick, but secure gearbox and your on the open road and on your way to wanting one.

The speed is phenominal, hitting sixty the pretty side of 6.5 seconds and powering on, no turbo lag to worry about and while it lacks the torque of a good derv, the rev counter climbs so smoothly its almost a joy powering through the cogs. The ride is tight, its safe but comfortable. The wind is quite well buffeted around you and you can hold a conversation at 60mph quite easily.

The grip comes from using more rubber than a durex factory. Although I'd be lying if I said it needed it. The RWD chassis does a fantastic job of shifting that heavy lump up front around corner. A bit of oversteer, a bit of understeer, yeah its not an MX5 but like I care! The straight six summons 189 of the finest Bavarian stallions to hurltle the car into corner after corner. The ride is exhilerating. The great J Clarkson once said - in a convertible 50 feels like 150... so whats the point of doing 150? Well I wasnt going to touch 150 with a bargepole, but lets just say 50 is lame compared to whats on offer only a few degrees up the speedo.

The brakes are good too, the abs is a little eager, but thats not really a flaw, guess its just what I'm used to. Its not without the mod cons either, air con, the aformentioned heated leather seats. The blowers have three settings, cold, hot and COTS (Centre of the Sun!) so winter mornings are not to be feared.

Then there is the price. A similarily specc'd Mazda of the same age will easily hit 5-6. You can pick up so much more for 7-8 and you can walk around saing Ja to everyone one. And Mein bimmer - pointing at the gorgeous piece of machinery on your driveway.

Looks - To dependant on tastes, but IMO a good 9.
Performance - A good 60 sprint and top speed and no turbo - 8
Handling - Could be Ten, if MX5 wasnt born - 7

Overall its fantastic, buy one and never have kids.

yeah it needs the 2.8, if only for the soundtrack, smooth yes, but it doesn't have any character, just completly flat. and at full tilt (say 6k) it only sounds like its doing 6k. try one of the older audi 6pots, then give it a few engine breather leaks, then at 6k it'll sound more like 7.5-8k, and actually at the redline (7.5k, it IS th end of th world under the bonnet).

anyway, yeah, good build quality, keen enough handling, good quality plastics, solid if dull sounding engine, but just couldn't bare to look at one. mx5 to go please and some hot cams (y)

although I could be tempted by an M-coupe, or a z4. no the M-coupe will spot on thanks :worship:

9 for looks?
i think their a really fugly car, they dont have that "bully" look you get with a lot of beemers, like the Z4 for instance, it looks like it will take your lunch money given half a chance.,
with exception to the engine,a proper womans car imo.,

Back