IMG_0699.JPG

BMW 528i SE Auto

Introduction

After my Focus was written off, I wanted something a bit more fun to drive.

Heres the eBay item number: 250977622614

I've not seen it yet...so could be a complete disaster still! Did I get a good deal? Who knows. I'm happy with what I paid so far. From the photos, it looks very well looked after.

Looking forward to the 80 odd mile drive home.
You've got a good deal there. The 6cyl of that gen (other than the nikasil stuff) is brilliant!.

Got some money left over to replace that nasty wood trim and steering wheel with the nice looking stuff too :p

My headgasket has blown on mine - probably due to the radiator being a piece of corroded s*** (hidden way by all the engine bay trim!) by then replacing the radiator wasn't enough the damage had been done.

Last edited:
looks tasty (y)

lets just hope it doesn't blow up on you

Hopefully! I've not had much luck with cars in the past...3 headgaskets on my Punto in two years, swapped to the Focus...loads of them about...cheap to repair right? First thing that goes, diesel pump...£1,100 to fix! I swore...alot :LOL:.

You've got a good deal there. The 6cyl of that gen (other than the nikasil stuff) is brilliant!.

Got some money left over to replace that nasty wood trim and steering wheel with the nice looking stuff too :p

My headgasket has blown on mine - probably due to the radiator being a piece of corroded s*** (hidden way by all the engine bay trim!) by then replacing the radiator wasn't enough the damage had been done.

I asked the seller about the nikasil thing, apparently the car was custom made after they spotted it.

In the '90's, BMW and some others decided to use Nikasil cylinder liners. The problem was that european petrol with its octane levels basically ate away at the liners giving all sorts of issues. There was recall when the problem was identified.

Anyway, had she been sitting in a new car storage yard having come off the standard production run, she could have ended up with them. However, the previous owner to me had a friend that worked for BMW. He did his research and found that, as she was built to order after the problem was found, she doesnt have the Nikasil liners. I have done research which confirms this through some BMW owners club websites, and also shows her build date only as 2 weeks before she was registered.

Could be lying, but with 600+ feedback and 100%, I don't have a reason to disbelieve it.

I rather like the look of the wood :eek::

yeah you do! :ROFLMAO:

****er! Took me ages to notice what sounded wrong with that! Sigged as well :( lol.

Some more photos that I have.

I have just uploaded the ones I was sent...some aren't that interesting (paperwork and the damaged trim lol).

Attachments

• IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0699.JPG
    IMG_0699.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0695.JPG
    IMG_0695.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 70
Had it just over 24 hours now and LOVE IT! Its so nice to drive, I can't believe how quiet it is. Few times when I'm sitting in traffic I forget that its on.

Lovely and smooth when driving, put your foot down and its pretty much straight away...not bad for a car 15 year old!

Bit thirsty, and I hate the MPG gauge under the rev counter going to <10MPG when putting your foot down to get to 70.

I enjoy driving again :D

Good find that. looks spot on, and for the price a bit of a bargin to be honest. (y)

I do like the MPG Gauge, bet that will teach you to drive economically :rolleyes::p

haha it does! Although strangely, it is more economical at 80/90 than at 70. Bugger :LOL:.

Took it for a little drive around some county roads today, not too fast, only around 40mph as it was a little scary at some points!

Crap at parking still...lot bigger than my Focus!

haha it does! Although strangely, it is more economical at 80/90 than at 70. Bugger :LOL:.

Took it for a little drive around some county roads today, not too fast, only around 40mph as it was a little scary at some points!

Crap at parking still...lot bigger than my Focus!

Its similar to mine then, it cruises better in 5th at 80mph, settling at 3,000rpm.. at 70mph its at 2,500rpm and wants to accelerate so it uses more fuel..

Ive always found that bigger cars are easier to park.. my Punto was a pain compared to the old Seat Leon I owned.. the Astra is a dream to park. :D

Little bit of an update...I love it still! Its so much fun, OK maybe not the crappy MPG I'm getting! 19MPG on a good day around town, around 30 out of town...sadly I do most my trips in town :(.

Beep beep!

Just passed its 100,000 mile mark...was waiting from about 99,000 for it and bloody missed it!

Still going strong!

Attachments

• 30332310150837898358127.jpg
    30332310150837898358127.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 87
E39s are a nice comfy barge. I had up till 2 weeks ago a 525TDS Touring that I'd had for 6 years. Great car and went to a good home. 1997 on an R reg with 182k miles on it.
Very thirsty for a diesel. 22mpg around town and 40-ish on a motorway.
I had it chipped though.
2 tons and an auto box isn't going to win any economy drives but it was super comfy.

DSC00010-1.jpg

Yours has a sunroof which is a rare thing on a 5 series, most settled with just the climate control but I really missed having one.

The 2.8 is a good engine but keep on top of the cooling system, water pump, viscous coupling, rads and aircon pusher fan can cause problems.
A good source of info is bmw5.co.uk. Some really knowledgeable chaps on there.

Get some wider black grilles and silver or black for the interior trim IMO.:)

Yours looks like a nice well spec'd specimen.
I wish my 3 series had a sunroof, I've been driving the Punto today to get some rays :D

It's so relaxing wafting around in a 5 series, just don't look at the petrol guage and you'll be fine.;)

15.6mpg niiice.

haha yeah, that was coming back from HQ. Pretty much all country roads, just asking to be abused :LOL:.

100k? Is that it?:p My brother has a e39, face lift, 520i on about 135k and its still silky smooth and not a rattle inside, I want his car!

Its got a fair few miles left! Doubt I'll put that much on though.

E39s are a nice comfy barge. I had up till 2 weeks ago a 525TDS Touring that I'd had for 6 years. Great car and went to a good home. 1997 on an R reg with 182k miles on it.
Very thirsty for a diesel. 22mpg around town and 40-ish on a motorway.
I had it chipped though.
2 tons and an auto box isn't going to win any economy drives but it was super comfy.

DSC00010-1.jpg

Yours has a sunroof which is a rare thing on a 5 series, most settled with just the climate control but I really missed having one.

The 2.8 is a good engine but keep on top of the cooling system, water pump, viscous coupling, rads and aircon pusher fan can cause problems.
A good source of info is bmw5.co.uk. Some really knowledgeable chaps on there.

Get some wider black grilles and silver or black for the interior trim IMO.:)

Yours looks like a nice well spec'd specimen.
I wish my 3 series had a sunroof, I've been driving the Punto today to get some rays :D

It's so relaxing wafting around in a 5 series, just don't look at the petrol guage and you'll be fine.;)

Its unbelievably relaxing! My Focus used to hurt my back after a while.

Just went for a 50 mile drive, few country roads again, averaged 23.5mpg, very impressed with how I was driving :LOL:.

Still going strong. Only thing that has gone wrong is the battery. MOT is due at the end of the month, and hopefully it will go straight though. Can't think of anything that would stop it.

Getting better MPG too, up to around 22 around town.

Back