Technical Bluetooth audio streaming for pre-facelift cars?

Currently reading:
Technical Bluetooth audio streaming for pre-facelift cars?

Hey all,

I have had a bit of a search around and couldn't find exactly what I was after, so forgive me if this has been covered previously.

Has anyone got any suggestions/recommendations on what to use for Bluetooth audio streaming in the pre-facelift (Blue&Me) Pandas? After a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to 2 potential solutions.

Option 1 - 3.5mm AUX Bluetooth receiver
There's many flavours of this device, but they all work pretty much the same (eg. Tunai Firefly). They are a Bluetooth receiver that is powered by the USB port, and you need to put the radio into 'AUX' mode for them to work.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Firefly-Smallest-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streaming/dp/B01HDO66PS

Pros
- Cheap
- Simple to install
Cons
- Audio quality perhaps not the best
- Cannot control music with steering wheel controls (skipping tracks, etc)

Option 2 - Bluetooth interface kit
This is a little module that sits behind the radio in the car, and plugs into the 'CD Changer' port in the back of the Panda's OEM radio.
https://www.car-interface.com/vendita/en/bluetooth-fiat/1659-fiat-new-panda-usb-aux-wireless-bluetooth-streaming-handsfree-interface.html

Pros
- Better integrated into car/neater
- Can use buttons on the steering wheel to control music
Cons
- Expensive
- Unsure whether it work in conjunction with, or completely replaces Blue&Me phone system

Does anyone have experience with either of these?

Hi Tom95, I have the exact same problem, my Panda is from 2015 and Blue&Me does not support A2DP. I use a lot Spotify and the solution for me was the 3,5 jack/bluetooth dongle. The sound is not disapointing but the lack of controls without using the smartphone is really annoying.

A quick update, for posterity.

I purchased a Bluetooth interface kit, and it worked perfectly. However, if your car has the Blue&Me phone capability they don't work side-by-side. Unfortunately, they use the same plug on the back of the head unit (so while you can still make calls etc through the Blue&Me system, no audio comes through the speakers).

but the lack of controls without using the smartphone is really annoying

More than just annoying; you can't legally touch a smartphone to control audio whilst driving the car.

Lack of A2DP support is one of the major shortcomings of Blue&Me.

I've found the best way to manage audio in the car is to accept the limitations of the system and put the music onto a memory stick in .mp3 format. Lack of aftermarket satnav audio integration is annoying, but ultimately not essential.

Last edited:
It still slays me that a system called Blue&Me can't stream audio via Bluetooth.

That's a bit like having a Test&Trace system that doesn't actually test and...

Oh.

It still slays me that a system called Blue&Me can't stream audio via Bluetooth.

That's a bit like having a Test&Trace system that doesn't actually test and...

Oh.

Because when blue and me was developed Bluetooth audio streaming didn't exist other then for basic things like calls
The ad2p started hadn't been developed yet to enable it

I have the bluetooth dongle pluged on the aux 3.5 jack and phone connected to that as well to Blue & Me and a smar****ch. If the phone rings it will trigger all the devices and I can decide which one to answer the call. I believe that this is related to the smartphone capability. Btw my smartphone is a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro.

Back