Gavins_Sisley_001.jpg

Panda (Classic) Blue Sisley, my first Panda.

Introduction

Starting this thread for Gavin (Palio) as the car is with me for work at the moment. Gavin, feel free to back fill details of history. (y)

It's a very nice example, especially considering it's 120,000 miles. It's with me primarily for bodywork. The roof has been resprayed, tailgate was rusty in the corners so has been replaced with a good used one I had, and the offside front wing was rusty so has been renewed.

I've also sorted the rear brakes which had seized wheel cyls. It turned out that the rear brake hose was blocked, when I tried to bleed the brakes the pedal was solid even with both rear nipples removed! It's not surprising the cyls. were seized, they probably hadn't moved in ages.

Another surprise was when I changed the tyres. :eek:

It came to me fitted with 165/80/13's, how they didn't foul anything I don't know. The tread was great but the side walls were badly cracked so they all had to be renewed. Gavin went for the same Nankang M&S's I used for Barbara's 4x4 (165/70/13's) as I found they were great around Scotland. The surprise came when I removed one of the old tyres. All wheels had tubes in bye the way......

As the valve pulled out of it's hole the wheel just crumbled!!!

The spare had the same problem but on a much much smaller scale. I was able to weld up and remake the hole on that one.

I won't bore you all with the other stuff I've been doing so, Gavin, it's over to you............
Reactions: Palio
if your anywhere near oxford go to challow scrap yard theres a panda and marbella there both with wheels

Starting this thread for Gavin (Palio) as the car is with me for work at the moment. Gavin, feel free to back fill details of history. (y)

It's a very nice example, especially considering it's 120,000 miles. It's with me primarily for bodywork. The roof has been resprayed, tailgate was rusty in the corners so has been replaced with a good used one I had, and the offside front wing was rusty so has been renewed.

I've also sorted the rear brakes which had seized wheel cyls. It turned out that the rear brake hose was blocked, when I tried to bleed the brakes the pedal was solid even with both rear nipples removed! It's not surprising the cyls. were seized, they probably hadn't moved in ages.

Another surprise was when I changed the tyres. :eek:

It came to me fitted with 165/80/13's, how they didn't foul anything I don't know. The tread was great but the side walls were badly cracked so they all had to be renewed. Gavin went for the same Nankang M&S's I used for Barbara's 4x4 (165/70/13's) as I found they were great around Scotland. The surprise came when I removed one of the old tyres. All wheels had tubes in bye the way......

As the valve pulled out of it's hole the wheel just crumbled!!!

The spare had the same problem but on a much much smaller scale. I was able to weld up and remake the hole on that one.

I won't bore you all with the other stuff I've been doing so, Gavin, it's over to you............

Thanks Vernon & thanks for the kind comments!

Really shocked at the wheel - it looked absolutely fine from the outside :eek:

I won't bore everyone too much :D but the Panda sort of found me 4 and a bit years ago. Was I looking for a Panda, well no, not really (I thought I had enough 127's at the time ;) ) but I'm glad I got it - even though it's proved to be a slippery slope of Panda breeding :rolleyes:

First of all he should strictly be called "Howie" - slightly convoluted, but the reg is LBW, the appeal in cricket "Howzat", often heard as "Howzee", hence "Howie".......... :eek:

Howie came in good condition and despite the mileage, is still on original oily bits. The bodywork has just had its second lot of attention, as Howie had various work done about a year before I bought him. He's been hammered around all over the place & is fantastic in the snow & ice - he rescued a rather large Audi estate this year from a snowy valley & just tugged the useless lump up a steep hill like nothing was there!

Completely original apart from the addition of period bull bars - these are great & it's amazing the new found respect from BMW drivers when you hurtle towards them! :D A few pics below including a brief spell on Cinq Sporting alloys.

I like the alloys Gavin, will go very well with the sumpguard. :)

Yours is the one on the left. I had to make it narrower at the front so that it fits between the bullbar struts. This meant there was only room for four rectangular holes instead of the six in the others. There you go, yours is unique :p. It's gone to be powder coated silver now, which is why it would look good with the alloys.

I like the alloys Gavin, will go very well with the sumpguard. :)

Yours is the one on the left. I had to make it narrower at the front so that it fits between the bullbar struts. This meant there was only room for four rectangular holes instead of the six in the others. There you go, yours is unique :p. It's gone to be powder coated silver now, which is why it would look good with the alloys.

Well the alloys are currently on the light blue Panda, so might have to think about that further - certainly before you have the light blue one, if I can bear to part with it :p

looks good, cant wait to see it on the car!

hmm.. i need to see how the bull bars fit onto the car... may make fitting the sump guard hard :/

Bullbars fit onto the brackets for the existing sump guard thing (the tubular thing under the front - technical description ;) ). They actually bolt straight on top of the existing structure but need a bolt with a few more turns of thread. They are a real bugger to fit on your own btw - it's like trying to wrestle a large metal hippo (weight & awkwardness-wise obviously, as fortunately it doesn't try to bite you Ahhhh) into place & you need about 3 arms to hold it and another 2 to get the bolts into place. (y)

Bullbars fit onto the brackets for the existing sump guard thing (the tubular thing under the front - technical description ;) ). They actually bolt straight on top of the existing structure but need a bolt with a few more turns of thread. They are a real bugger to fit on your own btw - it's like trying to wrestle a large metal hippo (weight & awkwardness-wise obviously, as fortunately it doesn't try to bite you Ahhhh) into place & you need about 3 arms to hold it and another 2 to get the bolts into place. (y)

yeah i did expect this, i have got a chain hoist in the garage to help hold it in place... longer bolts.. if they are standard thread bolts i am sure i can find some :LOL:
thanks for the info!

anyhoo wont thread hijack:D

Glad you like it :).

Yes your no. plate was a little warped :rolleyes: but I thought I'd better use it again as it had the carbon fibre lettering.

I think your sump guard looks better than mine, mine is a little too wide an expanse of white. Will live with it a couple of weeks and see if it grows on me.

Rock sliders anyone? ;)

Hmm, ok yes they look good :cool: How much then & how are they fitted? I know you were talking about fitting to the existing jacking tubes or more permanently with jacking points attached to the bars?

Cheers, Gavin (y)

They fit into the jacking point and are tightened with a bolt. then at the back a bolt holds it to a bracket which itself is bolted to the front leaf spring bolt. really solid, you could pick the car up by them.

Cost, well the powder coating was £96 :( ( may shop around for this ). They could be painted to save money but I don't think it would look as good. I don't know how much they were to make as I haven't had the bill from the engineers yet. plus, I would have to source some rectangular bar as I'm guessing you haven't got two old jacks to cannibalise. Second thoughts, you probably have. :p

yep... they look the part! now if i could find some pipe like that.....

John, if you get on a bus and look at the hand rails........ ;)

Back