Technical Blue & Me Compatibility

Currently reading:
Technical Blue & Me Compatibility

A thread that may be of use to someone in the future regarding Blue & Me Modules.

I have always thought and have been led to believe that there were only 2 versions of a 500 Blue & Me, Ver 1 and Ver 2. That is correct, however I was also under the impression that both will work in any 500 equipped with Blue & Me.

Wrong!

I bought a Ver 1 from ebay for £100 for a neighbour who has a 64 plate convertible. Hers is obviously a Ver 2 module. I swapped them over, briefly tried it and thought it was working. Since then, the module has either not been hearing voice commands, not displaying in Bluetooth on phones and sometimes when managed to connect making an awful noise coming out the speakers, mid phone call.

I've updated it via the Blue & Me website to the latest available version for the Ver 1 module but there is no difference. I now have to find a Ver 2 one and replace it again.

The long and the short of it is, if your car is a later model (I don't know what year it changed), then it's likely to be a Ver 2. I've just updated A 2012 and 2013 car which were both Ver 2 and they work perfectly.

I'm not certain either, but logically this would coincide with the removal of the need for a separate adapter lead to connect an iPhone.

If so, this would mean V1 is '10 plate and earlier; V2 is '60 plate and later.
That makes absolute sense. Just need to find one now at a decent price. Secondhand parts have gone up massively since Covid started.

Hello everybody,

I would like to add something regarding the "awful noise coming out the speakers, mid phone call" that typecastboy described.
I suspect that was just a faulty unit.
My Punto Evo did the EXACT same thing with the original factory unit.
It still does.
As long as i don't use bluetooth functionality (witch i don't) it works as it should.
Maybe this helps someone...

I am from the Netherlands so excuse my potentially bad English.

A thread that may be of use to someone in the future regarding Blue & Me Modules.

I have always thought and have been led to believe that there were only 2 versions of a 500 Blue & Me, Ver 1 and Ver 2. That is correct, however I was also under the impression that both will work in any 500 equipped with Blue & Me.

Wrong!

I bought a Ver 1 from ebay for £100 for a neighbour who has a 64 plate convertible. Hers is obviously a Ver 2 module. I swapped them over, briefly tried it and thought it was working. Since then, the module has either not been hearing voice commands, not displaying in Bluetooth on phones and sometimes when managed to connect making an awful noise coming out the speakers, mid phone call.

I've updated it via the Blue & Me website to the latest available version for the Ver 1 module but there is no difference. I now have to find a Ver 2 one and replace it again.

The long and the short of it is, if your car is a later model (I don't know what year it changed), then it's likely to be a Ver 2. I've just updated A 2012 and 2013 car which were both Ver 2 and they work perfectly.

Slightly OT perhaps but typecastboy, in your Love500 video where you connect a new Blue&Me unit, you talk about a couple of fuses behind the glovebox. Are these in the main block of the body computer, or are there some extra ones hidden away (which require the glovebox to be removed)?

Thanks - just connected a replacement unit to a '15 plate 500 and it is dead, so before going back to the supplier I thought I'd make sure I'd checked everything obvious.

Nick

Arrgh! Spoke to soon. Proxy aligned and the unit has ceased to be recognised (despite working when not aligned!). Body computer suggests "incorrect component installed" (it's the same part number as the one that came out, and is a 2015 module for a 2015 car, so think not). CAN proxi info suggested the unit has been removed.

I suspect the unit is faulty after all - unless any of this prompts any other thoughts from anyone.

This isn't doing much for my impression, built up over many years, that Magneti Marelli is the Italian equivalent of 1970s Lucas!!

Nick

Back