Technical Blown Motor

Currently reading:
Technical Blown Motor

simsal

I brought the 2002 Stilo 1.8 16v 20 months ago with 84,000 kms on the clock, done 104,000kms and motor blown up value straight through the piston $5000 nz to repaired which I am not happy to paid. I don't think that right a motor should have last longer. since owning the car - steering rack fail, airbag warning senor passenger seat and numerous another faults. Anyone with similar problems i have attach photos of the engine
:bang:
thanks Simsal

Attachments

• P8310002.JPG
    P8310002.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 60
  • P8310003.JPG
    P8310003.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 48
that definately looks like cambelt failure you can see where the valves have impacted with the piston heads. damn sorry to see that bud. :(

I have know an engine to drop a valve with out a cam belt snapping and it happened to a friend of mine while he was on a line up on a track and the car in question had a timing chain ..the valve head had burned clean off the stem of the valve through fatigue ..so its possible even if the cam belt didn't snap ..I would say though its not such a common occurrence but one that can never be ruled out ..

Edit ..if you look at the photo as I just have it would appear that the head of the valve has lodged in the valve seat so I think what I have just said to be exactly what has happened

Last edited:
that definately looks like cambelt failure you can see where the valves have impacted with the piston heads. damn sorry to see that bud. :(

You guys do know that the 1.8 has valve cut-outs machined into the piston crowns don't you?

If the cambelt had broken, wouldn't the other inlet valve be bent/ possibly snapped-off too, along with a couple of exhaust valves in one of the adjoining cylinders at least? And I'm certain that the first thing you'd check after finding a lack of compression when testing is the cambelt's condition. :rolleyes:

We had a 1.8 towed-in to ours recently with a valve head that had decided it wanted to escape. While checking through it we plugged-in the Examiner and had a glance at the maximum engine revs recorded.... 13700 RPM !! :eek:

Simsal- what were you doing when it happened? motorway driving?

You guys do know that the 1.8 has valve cut-outs machined into the piston crowns don't you?

If the cambelt had broken, wouldn't the other inlet valve be bent/ possibly snapped-off too, along with a couple of exhaust valves in one of the adjoining cylinders at least? And I'm certain that the first thing you'd check after finding a lack of compression when testing is the cambelt's condition. :rolleyes:

We had a 1.8 towed-in to ours recently with a valve head that had decided it wanted to escape. While checking through it we plugged-in the Examiner and had a glance at the maximum engine revs recorded.... 13700 RPM !! :eek:

He might have been doing a racing start like my mate was when his went bang:eek:

argh, my bad. I jsut had a wick glance at the pictures and saw what looked like impact marks on the piston heads. :rolleyes: i stand corrected. :eek:

regardless of how the engine has failed, are the piston tops and liners usually that tarred or is that from bad fuel or something?

Back