Technical Blower Fan Problems (AGAIN)

Currently reading:
Technical Blower Fan Problems (AGAIN)

Hi all,
Let me clarify before writing everything else, I HAVE checked most (if not all) posts relating to this issue on this forum, and can’t find any that relate to this exact issue. My ‘08 GPD had its blower fan pack up recently (horrible timing considering the time of year), and took the advice of most of the posts I’ve seen, which is order a new resistor. Inspecting the resistor and surrounding wiring there seems nothing wrong with it. No burnt contacts, melted wires, popped resistors, etc.. After replacing the resistor NOTHING changed. Exact same issue (being no fan at any speed, 1-4). Having figured out the resistor isn’t the problem (as a new resistor has solved nada and the fan doesn’t spin at speed 4), I figured it must be the fan itself. Thing is, I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. I can’t find an accurate diagram anywhere of the fuses (specifically the fuse that relates to the blower fan), no clue of where the electrics start or end and am really trying to put off pulling the whole fan unit out (staying at a non mechanic friends place so have no specialized tools like torq bits, and am also 6’3”, so contorting myself into a ball in the passengers footwell is really a last resort).

If useful, the car is specifically a 2008 2DR Grande Punto Dynamic, Left hand drive, 1.3 Multijet with A/C but not the Dual zone climate control. Recently hit 200,000km so has gone around the block a few times. The fan worked fine before, admittedly with some hic-ups with the fan dropping speed then speeding up again. At some point the fan started failing I.e. occasionally would stop switching on up until a few weeks ago when it straight up stopped working. permenantly.

TL;DR:
Fan crapped out, resistor change did nothing. Any info about specific fuse location or anecdotal suggestions would be massively appreciated!

Many thanks,
Ian

Hi

I've suffered with it in the past. It was burnt cables and the resistance gone https://m.autodoc.es/denso/11047589

I've had to change the connections twice because they were burnt and the resistance. I guess resistance failed because of burnt cables. Last time I put a piece of carpet protecting the zone son passenger can't kick it unconsciously. Since then it didn't break again

Update for anyone coming across this thread in the future: I figured out the issue when I pulled the blower motor assembly out and found the copper windings at the bottom COMPLETELY coated with carbon build up. Scratching away at it then reinstalling the blower motor made it run, but barely above a few hundred RPM in speed 4. Bought a 60 euro second hand motor off of a breaker on eBay and success! the fan now blows harder and quieter than it did before!

For troubleshooting (assuming that the fan and surrounding areas are faulty):
- If fan works at speed 4 but no other speeds then the resistor/ resistor connectors are burnt out
- If fan doesn't work at all on any speed, pull the fan out, switch on the ignition and whilst the fan is connected to the loom, give it a spin. if it picks up and starts spinning, its likely the motor in the assembly is faulty and should be replaced
- If fan doesn't work at all, even after pulling it out and giving it a spin whilst connected to the wiring loom, then its likely that the issue lies in either the fan controls or wiring further up the wiring loom. If that's the case, I wish the best of luck to whoever will have to spend a few hours with a voltmeter trying to find the bad connection!

Back