Technical Bleeding the coolant!

Currently reading:
Technical Bleeding the coolant!

Guys, I did the bleeding. I did the steps as you people said and did like rallycinq told me to do too. So I filled up the expansion tank to the full!

I started the car and opened both bleeder. The heater bleeder was spiting out coolant first for about 5 - 10 minutes. After that the both bleeders didnt spit and coolant for like 3 minutes. The bottom bleeder then was spiting out coolant with small bubbles. The bottom bleeder was spiting out coolant normal and increased in the water pressure of which it was spiting out from before. I closed the bottom bleeder and left the heater bleeder open. After 3 minutes it was spiting out coolant and not for like 1 minute. After that, coolant was coming out with high pressure and closed it a bit letting air and water coming out. The coolant was coming out with more bubbles inside the coolant. The fan only came on once and stayed on for 20 seconds (Never stayed on that much which the car on!). The temperature kept on raising while the bleeder was still spiting out coolant with bubbles. The temperature gauge rose till 115 degress. I quickly closed the bleeder and switched the engine off. After I closed the door I hear the bubble sounds and it was coming from the expansion tank. The expansion is now below minimum after I switched the car off. As soon as the bubble sound stopped the fan came on and stayed for a minute.

Did I do it right? Did I do something wrong? What is next then? Please write back.

Thanks alot guys! ;)

So it got to 115degC on the gauge...
Can you see the coolant flowing through the tank via the pump?

also: how much coolant have you put in so far?
(remember it only takes 4L...!)

On the gauge it showed 115 degress C. I saw the water in the expansion tank being filled by that small pipe which is on the top of the expansion tank of the left hand side. All I fill was 0.5 litres to get the expansion tank to the full and now I do not know as I just switched the engine off and its hot. The coolant level is just below minimum.

What do you think?

Without knowing how much coolant you have put in in total it is difficult to know what to think.

As has been said, if you have put in more than 4L, it has to be going somewhere...

Well, when bleeding some of the coolant is being lost through the bleeders themselves. Will go and see how coolant level and measure the amount which I will be topping up. This will be in about 2 hours time as I have to go out. Not using my car though!

Thanks Dave.

Well, when bleeding some of the coolant is being lost through the bleeders themselves.
If the waterpump is working properly you shouldn't loose much via the breathers. As soon as coolant flows out you close them.

But we (and it seams you!) don't know how much coolant has been put into the engine so far.

it may help if you squeeze the top and bottom hose with your hand to expel any bubbles out of the expansion tank or bleed points when you open them

Also when your topping the system up and bleeding you can just use water, once you have closed the top bleed point you can then add the coolant, this prevents wasting coolant (but will also depend on how much further until you have 4L in total it has to go - to ensure the mix is correct)

Tomorrow I will go and buy ready mix Paraful and we start all over again. I tried it and the temperature just was a bit over the 90 and the fan came on and lasted 10 seconds! Never stayed on that much... I dont know how much it stayed on 115 degress c as i closed the top bleeder and switched off. The fan came on then after the bubbles stopped. I am just giving up on this Cinquecento!!!!!

Do it without the engine running.

That will establish a base.

Once you have it full and bled, then start the engine with the expansion cap on, and watch what happens next.

I think you have a head gasket problem which is where the bubbles are coming from.

the cylinder pressure is far higher than the water pressure so you will not get water in the cylinders, you will get combustion gasses in the water system.

Cheers

PD

...I think you have a head gasket problem which is where the bubbles are coming from.

the cylinder pressure is far higher than the water pressure so you will not get water in the cylinders, you will get combustion gasses in the water system.
In this case it does sound like it, it can happen the other way round though.
When mine went it was sucking coolant into the cylinders on the overrun. At all other times it was ok and there were no combustion gasses in the coolant.

So its around 85 sterling! Perfect. I am not going to do it myself. I am going to take it to my friend which is a mechanic. Is it a 1 day job?

Thanks.

Back