General Blah :( this sounds expensive

Currently reading:
General Blah :( this sounds expensive

Ste (homz)

Alright Gang,

First real problem ive had with the car thus far so im not that bitter about it,

just recently im hearing a whirling type noise when the cars in gear, if i press the clutch pedal in the noise goes away, then if i bring it back out the noise comes back,

instantly i thought the clutch/ bearing has had it so id want a new clutch although my dad says its my drive shaft and is 110% adament its that, he said its been doing it for a long time but he didnt want to say as he said i would only think he was nit picking (because he hates fiat hes a VW guy)

one of the members on here said it could be the gear box oil as its never been changed since ive had it (had it a yr now although god knows when it last got changed)

what should i do ? the next service is due in June although i dont know weither to put it in now for the whole lot doin and see what the outcome is,

my car is a mk1 with 77k on the clock, for over a yr now the car has never skipped a beat and has been absolutley perfect its payed for itself in what its saved me in bus fares, only thing ive needed replacing was the exhaust.

thanks a lot guys, you always sort me out im sure this time will be no different

love you all

yeah, but check the gear oil first, just incase its that.its the cheaper option, its more likely to be the clutch bearing though.,not really a huge job on a punto if your confident with it.,.,(y)

not at all hehe, ill get my mate to do it :)

theres a little bit of a noise (thats shouldnt be there) when the clutch is pressed in as well, just noticed that this morning, dont know if its related, ill get it through a full service and see if its ok, if not ill get the clutch replaced.

im sure my mate will advise me on anything else thats wrong.

Happy times

thanks a lot guys

My freind the mechanic said its either a bearing, suspension or the drive shaft which is causing the noise,

if it is one of those 3 what would the worst case scenario be regarding how much its going to cost ?

has anyone had this done ? its the only problem ive had with the car since buying it well over a year ago

thanks a lot :)

Well for me new clutch cost £150 for parts and labour. From what Ive read on here thats a decent price. Others £200+. If your mate can do it its going to be cheaper Im guessing.

I had suspension done last MOT and I cant remember the breakdown of cost Im afraid. I remember it came to about £280 but that included full service, MOT and brakes.

Never had drive shaft done.

Back