General Bit of advice

Currently reading:
General Bit of advice

samperry209

Hey guys!

Been ages since I last posted...

Anyway.. I need a bit of advice from Fiat Forum. I have had my beloved MK2B for nearly 2 years now.. yes it really has been that long since I commented about snapping the gear stick!

Anyway, I am in a dilemma, My MK2B engine management light came on again after driving a fairly long drive from Hove to Bognor Regis, Anyway recently I have noticed it is drinking petrol quicker then Phil Mitchell can drink a bottle of whiskey.. I have been wondering if it is worth paying out any more money on it to get this sorted and the tires. My last MOT cost me 400 quid to get the car through it it failed really badly. So my question is do I spend the money on a car with 86K on the clock or do I cut my losses and buy a new car. I do fancy a grande punto but I have heard mixed reviews on them especially the MK1 version 56-09 plate ones..

What would you do in my situation, How long can a 1.2 engine last?

Really you need to get the code read.
Most likely for your symptoms is a failed oxygen sensor. Not too expensive, but can be a pain to remove as its been in there a while, in a harsh environment. A proper socket or spanner makes it easier, available from Amazon/Ebay.

Don't just go with this guess, read the code.

The 8v engine is a good solid lump
Mine was good till hg blew at 100k
Little did i know i put hg on upside down
And tbh it didnt take very long at all...
About 3k miles before engine was toast!
I did lots of short runs so it never got stupidly hot - the head was trashed with no oil feed
I had to scrap car at 111k because chassis was rotten... wish id knew that before i put a donor engine in...

What you put into the car - is what u will get out...
My current mk2b had oil changes between 5 & 6k miles
And filters every 10
The engine is running sweet still
Not compression tested it yet tho tbh...

Ziggy

Ours is at 127k and flying. Had a small patch of rust on an outer sill two tests ago. HG went at 86k. Original shocks, springs, coils, leads, disks, drums, shocks etc etc.
Get that code read. Thermostats can cause fuel to be guzzled. I seem to recall someone here that threw an eml after a fifty mile run or so. My memory was that it was the stat. It was like the car would only tolerate firing fuel at a cold motor for so long.

Ours is at 127k and flying. Had a small patch of rust on an outer sill two tests ago. HG went at 86k. Original shocks, springs, coils, leads, disks, drums, shocks etc etc.
Get that code read. Thermostats can cause fuel to be guzzled. I seem to recall someone here that threw an eml after a fifty mile run or so. My memory was that it was the stat. It was like the car would only tolerate firing fuel at a cold motor for so long.

127K is a target i'd love to hit!

Im going to make 100K i would have though quiet easily
Ive done my front Shocks and springs, as 1 spring snapped, and i dont do jobs by halfs... so i stuck new in :)

Im still on original rears, but springs cant cope with towing - it just slams to the floor really - and i've noticed a gap forming in the bush's - so all this heavy pot hole and speed bump area i live in is taking its toll....
No rot warning @ 90K and 13years old :) (Jan 2004 registered)

Ziggy

As the chaps above have said, you are best off getting the code read.

Having a code reader really is essential when owning a fiat lol.

MES & all the leads has been a very good investment.

My 1.4 sporting is currently on 124k & my Mrs Sporting is on 132k, so they can keep going when regularly serviced and maintained!

Back