Bike...

Currently reading:
Bike...

Kier

Prominent member
Just wondering if anyone is able to help, know there are a few people who ride bikes on here.

Been thinking for the last few days that they seem like great fun on sunny days etc, and been thinking about getting my bike license.

I've heard different things about getting it, because I've had a full driving license for over two years...do I need to take a theory test? Heard some people saying yes, others saying no.

What are the limits on the bikes I can ride at 19, nearly 20?

Know there was a thread by Alex I think asking similar questions...but cant find it, and dont really want to hijack it.

i think you will find you need to do a test for upto 125cc then 250cc then so on and so on, if you past your test before 1996 then it came with a bike licence on it but after that you had to do a test, its just a big money making sceme. c.b.t its called i think. personley i dont like bikes as there is no force field around you like you do have with a car, not only that but i have come off them a few times and it herts;)

you DO need to take your theory (there are a few differances in it like hand signals and such) this lasts 3 years.

then you can take your CBT. this is not a test but basic training and is all done on a 125.
this also lasts 3 years.

this allows you to ride a 125 on L-plates

you now have a choice (if your over 21)
you can do the test on a 125 or a bike this is over 45bhp (usually a 500cc bike... most likely a Honda cb500)
The 125 test that you will have to do, after passing you are limited to 33bhp for 2 years. altho you can ride any bike as long as its restricted to that power

The test on a bigger bike lets you jump onto what ever sized bike you like as soon as you pass.

ALSO remember now that the main test is in two halves. off road (riding around cones, doing maneuvers - once passed you dont need to retake it) then the road test which is simply riding around the street for a bit. imho the new test sounds easier other then been a little longer.

if you want to do it now I say go for it. dont think 33bhp will be slow ;)

yeah, i aggree with craig, the test is actually easier, the first part is very easy, second part is how it was minus the worry of doing manouvers on the road, theory is easy too and you can't fail the CBT (y)

£190 insurance a year for 0-60 in around 3 seconds, bargain!

(passed my test 2 weeks today)

CBT is 2 years long? They are meant to be changing the tests again to make it harder/more expensive to do it so get it done asap :) I keep putting mine off.

CBT is 2 years long? They are meant to be changing the tests again to make it harder/more expensive to do it so get it done asap :) I keep putting mine off.

once you do your CBT whilst you hold i full driving liscense it lasts forever, meaning you can ride a moped (49cc) without L's for as long as you still have your liscense, to take your test you need to to do it within the 2 years, bit silly really

If i can pass my bike test at 19 first time, anyone can!

I didnt have my car license then though but there isnt much difference whether you have or havnt got it.

You will first need to do your CBT test. This is just a simple day test to show you can ride a bike safely! average cost is £80
Once this is done, you can then ride upto a 125cc without L plates due to you having a car license allready.

You WILL need to do another theory for the bike (I had to do another theory for my car!) But they are virtually the same, except you may get one or two questions about a bike! So if you passed your car one then i wouldnt worry about passing your bike one! Just do a bit of revision and refresh your memory.

Because of being under 21, i wasnt allowed to do the direct access test for a full license. This means you do your lessons and test on a 'big' bike, so if/when you pass, you can ride any bike.

Instead, You will have to do your test on a 125cc (much easier IMO!) So if/when you pass you will be restricted for 2 years.
You can have whatever bike you like, but you will have to put a restricter on it of 33BHP. I bought a 600cc and had it restricted. Plenty fast enough till you get used to riding and want more!!

I only had 5 lessons on a bike before passing without having my car license so im sure you will do it easy!! GOOD LUCK!

lol yeah, meant CBT :LOL:...been talking about CRB too much lately lol.

Thanks again :)

haha no worries, if you have the cash do it! best thing i've done! i love it, there is a very rare amount of people who have a 33bhp limit on they're liscense and don't keep the restrictor in :eek:

you can get packages where you can do the whole thing in 3-4 days, you'd need the theory booked first

Back