Styling Big wheels

Currently reading:
Styling Big wheels

Badget

Out of curiosity, what are the biggest wheels you could safely put on an 850t/900?

Has anybody fitted 6" wide rims and still had clearance?

Hi Badjet
I've fitted 5.5J x 14" rims (35ET Offset) shod with 155/65 rubber with no problem to my 900T.
This keeps the rolling circumference almost identical to the original 4J x 12" rims with 155/80 rubber and no fouling.
There are a couple of websites I used to check the speed differences of the tyre sizes (didn't want to have the issue of recalibrating the speedo) and both indicate that the van would be doing 70.55MPH when showing 70MPH - if only Connie would reach it :)

I looked at 6" rims but at 14" diameter you need to start entering seriously lower profile tyres to keep the rolling circumference the same and the choice is limited - and therefore more expensive. You also need to have a different offset which also limits the choice of wheel and increases the risk of fouling.

There is also much more choice of rubber at 14" compared to 12" and having less side wall on the tyre make the ride a bit firmer and better through corners. I've not noticed any significant difference to the weight of the steering at parking speeds.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Gary

PS. One day I hope to upgrade to disc brakes and the 14" rims will allow the space. I gather the 900E with front discs has 4.5J 13" rims to allow space for the callipers.

Hi that helps a bit thanks.
I started an 850t brake upgrade many years ago but never got it finished.
From memory the early panda discs and calipers will fit under the 13" wheels.

I will upgrade the brakes on this one, possibly to calipers all round as there maybe an engine upgrade also though I'm still undecided on the engine.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in alloys, or even decent looking steels in the narrower widths.
I'm still holding out for a good set of 14" 4x98 slotmags.

I had a set of mk2 cosmics in mint condition but let them go with the van they were on. The new owner took them straight off for a set of x19 tri spokes.

I didn't see the second reply on here.
I don't suppose you have any pictures of your van in those wheels?

Let me try

Attachments

• 16580637069857822847846307460418.jpg
    16580637069857822847846307460418.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
Back