big problem removing bump strips HELP

Currently reading:
big problem removing bump strips HELP

hi everybody happy new year.
i recently removed the bump strips on both doors and it has left some pretty heavy duty sticky stuff on the door panel. now i have tried to use bug and tar remover and all the other s**t halfords sell due to me getting it all free working there :p
none of it works...
is there any advice on what to use, im not too keen on terps or petrol because i dont want to smear the lacquer ... please help :p
thanks matt

You want to try panel prep wipe mate or good old wd-40 warming the area first with a hair drier might help but dont warm it with solvent in the area as there is a fair chance of it been ignited

which halfrauds do you work in clough road or the junction/st andrews quay

Last edited:
clough rd is where i work :)
panel prep wipe, right , where to get one on a sunday?

know wilco motorsave sells it made by Upol they do "fast" and slow" fast is more active but slow is better to soak the area as it evaporates slower (tetrasil also do one pre wipe degreaser)

u-pol-system-20-panel-wipe-degreaser-fast-slow-5-litres-226-p.jpg

2894569927_546b5ec0a6_b.jpg

Last edited:
bottle of stella had to be in there haha...

OP, all i used was a hairdryer and my nails and just kept picking at it.

try pouring hot water over it aswell..
yeh the hot water works. its just a bit of time consuming really, thought itd be as easy as the boot, obviously not haha
yeah i agree the can of stella would work, or maybe a few more ...

As already suggested, warm it up a bit, but rather than try to pick or scrape it off, 'roll' it along the panel. It usually comes off better this way, but you do end up with sore thumbs......

Panel wipe or thinners will soften the rubber backing, but won't do much with the glue itself. There are special solvents available from motor factors for doing this, but it's probably just as easy to perservere with hairdryer and thumbs :)

As already suggested, warm it up a bit, but rather than try to pick or scrape it off, 'roll' it along the panel. It usually comes off better this way, but you do end up with sore thumbs......

Panel wipe or thinners will soften the rubber backing, but won't do much with the glue itself. There are special solvents available from motor factors for doing this, but it's probably just as easy to perservere with hairdryer and thumbs :)
if i was to use hair dryer on it will it take the paint or lacquer off ? i just dont wana mess it up :p does cold weather affect it. a few newbie question there lol

A hair dryer won't be hot enough to do any damage to the paint, so smuggle out the most powerful one you can find.......;)

Get the adhesive tape as warm as you can before peeling it from the metalwork - it should come off pretty cleanly. Depending how old the car/paintwork is, you might need to use a bit of colour restorer afterwards, as the paint under the strip will still be brand new and unfaded!

Seen your car clough road halfords, went in for some headlight bulbs :) I used hairdrier and 'rolled' it off like trimdoner mentioned... just took abit of time and patience... and ended up with sore thumbs! :) Left abit of a mark around the edge where the bump strips where, bit of t-cut and little bit of polish sorted that :)

Back