Beware The Clio!

Currently reading:
Beware The Clio!

cazz

Bring the noise!
Anyone see watchdog last night about the CLio MK2 bonnets randomly flying up! and VOSA doing bugger all about it!

Came up on it before, remember we drive Fiats and they aren't exactly known for having firmly closed bonnets as a few people can testify to on here...

a rusty bonnet catch is always prone to this, no matter what car its on. keep it lubricated and it wont be a problem. annual lubrication of all hinges, locks etc. is required on all cars and is part of the service schedule. if it doesnt get done blame the owner or who ever carried out the service, but dont blame the car.

Out of memory it's to do with a plastic backup bracket is it?

Jug, would you like to remind everybody what the secondary bracket on a Brava/o is made from please? ;)

something to do with a crap hook that holds it in place, funny how it is only prone to MK2s and in recent models thay have changed this

something to do with a crap hook that holds it in place, funny how it is only prone to MK2s and in recent models thay have changed this

Like with any car, they change and improve things and add to the car in its life span. Except for the Stilo of course, in which they all started off high specification and Fiat stripped off little extras throughout its life, from rear 12v sockets to fully colour dashboard displays...etc.

As I pointed out, Fiat is a marque prone to this, when i was looking for bravas i saw a few that had had their bonnets lift up at speed so I am always exceptionally cautious with mine, something I never was before owning bravas, although it's a useful thing to be cautious about anyway!

i'll be sure to give them a wide bearth on the road in future!

The thing that annoys me is that so far over a thousand people have complained, and i'm sure there will be many more why is VOSA or Renault doing anything?

Because there are literally millions of Clios on the road? 1000 is nothing. Where did you get that figure from?

The primary closer on the Marea does seem to be prone to sticking. This is bad news as the spring is there to keep it latched as the car flexes. Adjustment is important as well, the spring should have travel both ways from the rest position. I am not sure how well the plastic safety catch would do at an indicated 80 into a strong headwind.A point well worth looking at, this can be fatal at speed.

Was that complaints to them or to VOSA or what?

You will find that people love complaining about their vehicles regardless of whether they own one or not, especially watchdog viewers! People like digging at car manufacturers from hearsay - think Fiat if you need examples! For instance, the bloke who drove his Laguna at full speed for miles in France, claiming the accelerator was stuck and he couldn't switch off the car. Renault counter-sued after he lost the case, it was shown that there was no problem except he kept his foot on the accelerator pedal and didn't consider taking the car out of gear (duh). No idea if Renault won the case.

wasnt there a simliar case over here when a bloke called the police from his car saying that he couldnt slow down and his accelerator was stuck, i think he was found guilty and his car was BWM

Sounds very much like the Renault case, so either it happened with both or you made a mistake and it was Renault. The driver argued that the key card was flawed as you couldn't stop it by turning the key I do believe.

I do remember perhaps a case with a BMW hitting a roundabout when that happened, so maybe there are two cases? Either way, people love to cause car manufacturers trouble, some deserved, some not.

my friends cars accelerator got stuck fully open. 3rd day of driving it too. at first i though he was joking then he put his foot on the clutch and it was revving right up well into the red line. we ended up going round bends at 70 with his foot on the brake until we came to the straight section and turned the engine off and rolled to a stop on barely working brakes.

the road was the A370 between congresbury and weston and if anyones been down there the corners are actually quite bad at the limit of 50 in a standard car anyway and he was considering just ditching it into a bush. luckily there was noone in front to cause problems there's always someway to stop though tbh if you're going to use the accelerator thing though it's just stupidity. a diesel though can be more of a problem though if you overfill with oil apparently

also on that watchdog the woman who crashed the astra cos of the renault while being unfortunate should of had a safe distance and been paying more attention.

bonnet latchs on mk2b punto's seem to be pants aswell, and/or they need a bit more maintance than your average catch.

EVERY mk2b i've looked at has either a snapped cable or a stuck/totally seized cathc

GF's mk2 is also bad, it takes a fairly hard slam to shut it, taking paint off the bumper every time. no amount of wd40 or bonnet adjustment helps.

Back