Tuning Best way to speed up a 903cc

Currently reading:
Tuning Best way to speed up a 903cc

Flappjak

You might see this type of thread before but I was wondering what's the best way to get more power out of the 903cc, I know the obvious answers like a better carb and air filter but what else could bump the power up without a engine swap, thanks in advance for any help

I'd love to put a new engine into the panda but unfortunately I don't have the correct equipment such as a engine lift or the money to buy the engine but after watching a few videos of bike engined y10s and 126s I'd love to put a zx10r into it

Cost wise an engine swap is the cheapest for the amount of power gain. You could spend lots modifying a 903cc engine and gain very little power. An exhaust, carb and air filter etc might get you a few hp extra, but you would probably end up spending more than the cost of a replacment engine doing it.

Best to get the current engine running as well as it can and sticking with it, the 903cc engines are surprisingly nippy and lively to drive when working right.

Cost wise an engine swap is the cheapest for the amount of power gain. You could spend lots modifying a 903cc engine and gain very little power. An exhaust, carb and air filter etc might get you a few hp extra, but you would probably end up spending more than the cost of a replacment engine doing it.

Best to get the current engine running as well as it can and sticking with it, the 903cc engines are surprisingly nippy and lively to drive when working right.

Ok thanks for the advice I'll run the engine and I think next year I'm getting another car and then the panda will be a project

I'd love to put a new engine into the panda but unfortunately I don't have the correct equipment such as a engine lift or the money to buy the engine but after watching a few videos of bike engined y10s and 126s I'd love to put a zx10r into it

engine goes in from bottom no need for a hoist, a trolley jack and a mate will be ok or 2 mates and no jack.

or you could borrow a 750 for a week then the 903 will seem fast.

or only drive down hills

Bike engine make cars undrivable away from track days. They produce their power all at the wrong times.

Oddly enough I have had car engined bikes as well and the problems are similar. Bike engines are very peaky (cammy) and car engines are very torquey.

903 is a sweet little lump stick with it and enjoy.

The 903 can produce a decent amount of power with a new cam, carb and manifolding. It can be made to go even better with a "Radiale" head - very expensive and major reworking by boring and stroking to 1049cc, although it is apparently possible to go up to 1100+ with lots of determination and money. In the meantime, look out for a Panda with a Fire lump and start playing with that....1108, 1242, 1367....all can be made to fit.

The 903 can produce a decent amount of power with a new cam, carb and manifolding. It can be made to go even better with a "Radiale" head - very expensive and major reworking by boring and stroking to 1049cc, although it is apparently possible to go up to 1100+ with lots of determination and money. In the meantime, look out for a Panda with a Fire lump and start playing with that....1108, 1242, 1367....all can be made to fit.

You could potentially put the 1368cc turbo out of a Grande Punto T-Jet into a Panda?

thanks for all the help, its my first car which is the main reason i don't particularly want to do an engine swap so i think i will try to get a cam, weber carb with a bolt on k n a airfilter

thanks for all the help, its my first car which is the main reason i don't particularly want to do an engine swap so i think i will try to get a cam, weber carb with a bolt on k n a airfilter

if its your first car spend your money on making it as clean and tidy as possible and enjoy it for what it is, a classic car that is going to go up in value, and laugh at all those driving cars with value going down.

Last edited:
it's actually really clean to say it was sat outside for four years got the tiniest spot of surface rust on the door other than that it is in really nice condition

Back