Best track-day car in your opinion and why?..

Currently reading:
Best track-day car in your opinion and why?..

Yeah i know the brakes are **** n stuff

But from what my mate tells me, back in the day around my area (Way before my driving days), he said there were UTs n R5GTTs every where!
And the UT ruled the roost! lol

You just gota remember an italians drving style, hard n fast and hard on the **** brakes using the engine-braking to slow down as much as possible! lol

As Fiat put so much time into that engine, the it wouldnt be as brilliant as it is now, the french just traded off engine reliabilty (and lets face it these cars never went a day without getting a thrashing!) and as far im concerned i would like a brillaint engine with the room for potential

I can try with my UT to show people what they can do and i will

If i was to come across say...............BB Tunings R5GTT at lets say.............Brands-hatch....................and had a thrash with it n lost, id see where i can improve WITHOUT going back on my word because my uno will be built to a "specific level", i will list those levels once i start it.

I think a Strada Abarth is very good choice still

custard said:

What a tool! No not you Custard... that Abarth! Mean lookin' Strada with the super smooth balancer shafted Thema Turbo lump... what a dream... where's me cheque book!

Seriously, mate bought a Mk I 1.8 Campaign model GTI Golf on a Y plate that had been tinkered with by Brian Rickets Motorsport and used by its previous owner as a track day car. Lasting memory of this Golf was it looked bog standard in black on its 14' P slot Pirelli alloys, virtually no body roll and going off the clock on the M40 (135 + :eek: ) it was bloody quick! Previous owner moved onto a Mk II MR2... for mid engined track action!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I'd have to say the Elise. It's light, which is the main criterion for a track car, This will also mean the tyres aren't eaten every time. It handles like a go-kart, You can pick them up fairly cheaply, and the K-Series in the earlier models are quite hardy (just check the coolant) and easy on the juice.

VOLVO ESTATE!!!!!:D

take one free volvo 740 with 255k on the clocks
buy one B230ET (the biggest baddest) turbo engine from ebay for £60
fit said engine
crank up the boost (189bhp std)
fabricate yourself a 3" stainless exhaust straight thru, no silencers nothing.
kill the clutch and flywheel within 200miles wearing the biggest grin you can imagine:D

then sell on ebay at a minor profit (I think if I added it all up, I actually lost about £15, not bad for 3months motoring!).

scared the jebus out of me, and everyone in the general NE area.

track car - what only for the track? Sounds like you need a race car, personally i'd look for a second hand race car, I know the rover tomcat turbo's from rover sport sell for peanuts and they are awesome. MG ZR is a great car too.

From the fiat stable, I'd stay away from turbos, sure they'd be quicker but they all have costs, and with a turbo its one more thing to go wrong, unless its new running std .

Tipo 16v is an option because the're cheap. Shame there's not a lot available on the handling dept for them off the shelf. Really any car needs a decent engine and cooling, also brakes should be brembo discs with ferodo ds2500, high temp fluid minimum, that will give you the stopping reliabilty. Throw in a set of 539s for tyres.

Personally my first suggestion is best, and if you want to develop something then the trusty 205 is the way to go; of the shelf doesnt get any better. oh a civic vti in the rover 400 type body would be good 166 bhp but a lot cheaper then the civic hatch.

rich

Well this car is gonna have to be road legal, but to uncompromising to be anything other than an emergency stand in if I lose the V70 or Sei for a short period of time. That and that I want to develop this car my self seems to rule out a race car, but it's not totally out of the question. Well I'm looking into a Bravo HGT as my base but I'm gonna see how things pan out. As for tyres, I'll be looking at slicks for track use duno what for road/wet track use yet.

J333EVO said:
Fiat are so poor at keeping in production parts for there older cars, Renault are pretty good, and Honda even better, did you know that if Honda receive 2 orders for any part from any car they have ever made they will remanufacture it for you, thats service, can't say the same about fiat,

thats very true, my bravo was only recently discontinued yet uk dealers already have no stock of bravo parts. i asked for a slave cylinder 2 weeks ago (only because i needed one asap to get to work the next day) and was told they'd have to order it and it would take a week. rang another dealer and they said 4 days. WTF! the slave cylinders fail very regularly on the bravo's, they could at least keep one is stock. as it turns out i got one 2 hours after i ordered it from my local motor factors at less than half the price of the fiat dealer. good old independant motor factors nevr let you down (y) but what will i do if i need a dealer only part in a hurry and there isn't one in a scrapyard?

when i owned a 1985 ford orion ghia i could get almost any part from almost any dealer even in 2003. they kepts the bits in stock. so fiat have no excuse really.

jug said:
when i owned a 1985 ford orion ghia i could get almost any part from almost any dealer even in 2003. they kepts the bits in stock. so fiat have no excuse really.

No space in the parts dept with all those Stilo consumables :p

If I need a part I found that FAST can get hold of them faster than FIAT and without the "what's your VIN number?" hassle.

i'd rather set fire to it than ring fast, they're robbing bar stewards who cant even identify injector failure, even if they use an examiner. they tried to sell me plugs, leads and a coil on my first bravo for 3 times the price i paid at a motor factors, claiming my misfire was due to using non-fiat parts. i swore at him, drove home, got my multimeter out, and £5 later it was fixed with a scrapyard injector. i'd never go back to somewhere after getting such bad advise about such a simple problem and also such high quotes. plus its a scruffy small garage with a waiting list, more of a single factory unit with an examiner machine (probably stolen before they got laid off from fiat for been so crap at identifying common faults).

Back