Technical Best MPG ever?

Currently reading:
Technical Best MPG ever?

FPS

On a drive back from a dirty weekend :D with my girlfriend in Wales I managed to get the MPG display on her Punto Sporting Mk2 to read 55.8 mpg. This was towards the end of a 120 mile journey and doing a steady 60mph in 6th gear on the M62 (this was for purely experimental purposes!). We noticed that the reading seemed to jump in increments of 0.3mpg and that the rate of change was not constant i.e sometimes it changed quite quickly from one reading to the next, other times it showed the same reading for quite a distance. I'd be interested to hear other members views on this.

hi there that sounds perfectly correct to me i also have a mk2 punto sporting and i have had 57mpg out of it on a run. as for the amount it changes it can vary. but the mpg is worked out as an average mpg since you last reset the fuel computer so when you first reset it after filling up it will change quickly, the slightest change in speed can cause it to change but the more miles you drive the more it will settle down so after alot of miles it will change very slowly: example u reset fuel computer and

drive 10 miles at 50mpg then drive the next 10 at 40 mpg and the fuel computer will drop down to an average of 45mpg thats a drop of 5mpg in 10 miles

but drive 100 miles at 50mpg and then 10 at 40mpg and the fuel computer will drop down to an average of 49mpg thats a drop of just 1 mpg over the 10 miles

well hope some of what i just put makes sense :D i got kinda carried away lol

2001 Punto sporting in sprint blue with matching Mr Bump air freshner all together now mmmmmmm

my Punto Emotion 80 (1.2 16V) Speedgear automatic
did today 53mpg on 200 Km road, As it still has 1200 miles
on the clock the figure may get better.. but being an
automatic it will inevitably do worse that manuals.

Thanks for the replies. So am I right in thinking that the trip computer only works out the average fuel consumption since the trip counter was set? It can't supply you with continuous 'real time' MPG figures like a lot of cars do?
As an owner of a Black 1.6 8v Sporting I'm throroughly jealous of these MPG figures as mine seems to gobble the unleaded as though it's going out of fashion!

Just one more thing, my GF's Punto's Airbag warning light has a tendency of coming on (and remaining so), especially when the drivers seat is moved while the engine is running. Any advice would be welcome.

You're correct FPS, the reading is an average since the trip was reset. Punto's don't do instant mpg.

Once I managed to get my trip computer averaging 73mpg on the display. I'd just filled up and did some downhill and steady 40mph driving. Didn't last. I have once or twice had it at or close to 60mpg going in to fill up, but often I struggle to get much more than low 50's. Its rare my computer shows the mpg as anything other than a bit higher than it should.

Punto Mk2 ELX 8v in Teseo Blue with the electric Sunroof and CD changer, doing 50mpg whilst passing down country lanes

the air bag light---right the whole airbag system is linked into the seatbelt pretensionors so when you move the seat you can disturb the connection on the pretensioners so a fault comes up(light on ) the system will not work while light is on so needs to go into fiat if you try to mess ewith connectors yourself you can fire te system (set the airbag off ) so dont mess with it yourself
you can disconnect the battery kleave it an hour to make sure system not able to fire while you look at it but my advice would be to take it into fiat

I was in the UK this week and averaged 44 mpg in my Mk2 Sporting on constant 80 - 100 mph on the M4. Good going that.

Back