Technical Best filter and oil.

Currently reading:
Technical Best filter and oil.

neiltheplumber

Morning all. I have a Panda Cross Twinair 875cc 66KW 17reg, and would like to change the oil and filter. This is my pride and joy and want only the best for it. ( its a very spoilt Panda). Looking for the correct spec oil and filter without having to go through the dealership spare parts counter.
Many thanks for any help received,
Neil

its more important they changed at there proper service interval and are at the correct level

there even some leeway on the grade

I normally use whatever closest and available in home and bargains and whatever filter my local motor supply

Cars was still driving fine at 200,000 mile latter

Oil filers are one thing I'll only use OEM for.

Years back there was a link on here, someone broke up 8 identical oil filters from various pattern part suppliers and an OEM one, the difference in quality was worrying considering the cost different is the issues should an oil filter fail or fail and starve the engine of oil.

its more important they changed at there proper service interval and are at the correct level

there even some leeway on the grade

I normally use whatever closest and available in home and bargains and whatever filter my local motor supply

Cars was still driving fine at 200,000 mile latter

I would put 'non.brand' oil in a Mj..or a FIRE
But with my twinairs its 100% Selenia

Jon is correct about filters..
And the cases of cheap filters.. with big name packaging.

I would put 'non.brand' oil in a Mj..or a FIRE
But with my twinairs its 100% Selenia

Jon is correct about filters..
And the cases of cheap filters.. with big name packaging.

17 twinair in this section of the forum

Did it read like the when I first answered ?

home and bargains still stands though its normally branded and has all the correct standards

They just sell of surplus. I few years ago I picked up 5L of Shell fully synth for £9.99

Filters still stands

buy from a motor factors. If you buy a branded from the internet its more likely to be a cheap China clone with a nice print job on the can.

Missed out main dealer. My mistake. Not relevant to me as it nearly 20 miles away

Having said that OEM doesn't always mean quality. Hyundai I10 failed. Dealer serviced and it dropped all its oil all over the road with a hole through its paper then case

Last edited:
No such thing as BEST oil, however there is the correct oil with the correct spec.
Filters however tend to be missed scrutiny at times as said. If you go on to google there are a few eye openers regarding filters, really worth a watch. Chap opens up the filters to obviously see inside. It’s pretty well known to stay away from FRAM.

really need moving to the correct section, as there might be some known issue

but normally any filter that passes SAE and J1858 is fine
tear downs are meaningless what is important is flow rate, quantity and size of the partials entering and leaving the filter

there isnt such a thing as best.

Car manufacture generally do not make oil filter they are technically already aftermarket filters sold at a premium

Same with the oil. The owners manual will specify an oil. Any oil that passes the same standard is fine.

Take a look at the C510 gearbox. Same gearbox. But the oil specs keep swapping and changing by year depend what Fiat had available at the time.

tear downs are meaningless what is important is flow rate, quantity and size of the partials entering and leaving the filter

Tear downs as you put it does indeed show up the quality or lack of. In the case of of a Fram spin on, it already started to rust internally and the cardboard was disintegrating. Cheap stuff like cardboard that’s already started to disintegrate will indeed f@ck up the workings of a filter.

Tear downs as you put it does indeed show up the quality or lack of. In the case of of a Fram spin on, it already started to rust internally and the cardboard was disintegrating. Cheap stuff like cardboard that’s already started to disintegrate will indeed f@ck up the workings of a filter.

I have had one failure about 25 years ago. I don't know what brand it was. Pain in the neck as the can part blew off leaving nothing to grip.

the other only other one I know of was last year. Not my car but was an OEM filter fitted by a dealership while the car was under warranty. The metal was so thin that when under pressure oil leaked through the end which did have some very light rust.

YouTube video like this are just entertainment. Made to boost subscribers and make money.

Its like me saying the twin towers had to fetch down by thermite because steel just behave like that. I know nothing about how steel should behave

Fram had a problem with the design of one filter years ago. I dont buy Fram but I wouldn't have a problem using one

I wouldn't buy from ebay though. A nice design on its can does not mean it meets any standard at all.

I have had one failure about 25 years ago. I don't know what brand it was. Pain in the neck as the can part blew off leaving nothing to grip.

the other only other one I know of was last year. Not my car but was an OEM filter fitted by a dealership while the car was under warranty. The metal was so thin that when under pressure oil leaked through the end which did have some very light rust.

YouTube video like this are just entertainment. Made to boost subscribers and make money.

Its like me saying the twin towers had to fetch down by thermite because steel just behave like that. I know nothing about how steel should behave

Fram had a problem with the design of one filter years ago. I dont buy Fram but I wouldn't have a problem using one

I wouldn't buy from ebay though. A nice design on its can does not mean it meets any standard at all.

It’s not only down to you is it? Or even me, I’ve never had a failure regarding an oil filter. You say you don’t do this or do that, but as I’ve said it’s not really about you, it’s being able to look at the bigger picture and gullible car owners out there. Seeing what’s inside an oil filter is not exactly mind blowing, but it’s always worth a look, especially for those who don’t have a clue. Even seeing why the most expensive filters internals contain.

Just to add, nothing wrong with a bit of entertainment along the way.

Last edited:
It’s not only down to you is it? Or even me, I’ve never had a failure regarding an oil filter. You say you don’t do this or do that, but as I’ve said it’s not really about you, it’s being able to look at the bigger picture and gullible car owners out there. Seeing what’s inside an oil filter is not exactly mind blowing, but it’s always worth a look, especially for those who don’t have a clue. Even seeing why the most expensive filters internals contain.

Just to add, nothing wrong with a bit of entertainment along the way.

I only said buy a filter from a motor factor (which mine normally supply Mann)or main dealer or the like. Not eBay or the like. Which may be any China rubbish rebadged as OEM or the like

and the video of cutting them open was garbage. Which it is. Seen inside is fine. The opinions are just that, and not based on facts.

I also pointed out that motor manufactures dont actually make filters so technically they are all 3rd party parts. Marked up as OEM or not

https://tiremeetsroad.com/2019/01/24/are-fram-oil-filters-any-good/

https://www.fram.com/technical-information/

Any thread about which is best, just run and run, because there is no such thing.

I also pointed out that motor manufactures dont actually make filters so technically they are all 3rd party parts. Marked up as OEM or not

I think we all know this. Getting back to the OP which kind of got lost. Not to get all worried about what oil, as for filters stick to recommended makes, and not off eBay, most of us should know that.

Just for the record, worth opening up a used filter to see how it’s doing it’s job. You may just find how your engine health is doing. ;)

Morning all and a big thank you to all who helped in the above. Buying spare parts and consumables is an absolute minefield with regards to quality to the extent that I even got my local Fiat dealership to price up all the bits required for a 90k service on my Panda Cross Twinair.
Don't mind paying a bit more for piece of mind, but "pants" and "pulled down" sprang to mind. Have come across a firm called Fiat Workshop in Royston, that have a good selection of parts and seem really approachable and helpful.
Again many thanks for sharing your knowledge. Greatly appreciated.

there isnt such a thing as best.

Just because 5 items (filters in this case) meet a MINIMUM specification, doesn't mean that they're all equal and one isn't better than the other on quality! :p

If you think otherwise then so be it, but more fool you.

Just because 5 items (filters in this case) meet a MINIMUM specification, doesn't mean that they're all equal and one isn't better than the other on quality! :p

If you think otherwise then so be it, but more fool you.

getting personal aren't we ?

MINIMUM where are these better specification

OE are badged FCA and are made by Sogefi oil filters, which are also sold under there other brand names Purflux, CoopersFiaam, Fram, and Sogefi Pro

if I am wrong I will hold up my hands as I have no feeling either way

As I said twice. Generally motor manufactures don't manufacture their own oil filters, they are already pattern parts

As I have already said this should be moved to the correct section. I believe there has been an issue with oil pressure after a service. Probably eBay parts but worth checking. People that own a twinair are more likely to know

Back