Best film ever.....

Currently reading:
Best film ever.....

Brilliant film. I wouldn't say the best, but certainly brilliant (y)

And that quotation from Pulp gives me goosebumps everytime I hear/read it!

I wonder if you warrant card holders will ever use that quotation, instead of the usual. Must ask my bro tomorrow.....:D

I really like man on fire. Few war films mentioned so far, black hawk down and we were soldiers spring to mind.

black hawk down and we were soldiers spring to mind.
god, why didnt i mention black hawk down? one of the best ever!!! also saving private ryan,(tom hanks is brilliant), .,

oh and not forgetting, "Behind Enemy Lines".,.,

There's only one film that made me feel physically sick

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

I do not remember when and where I saw the movie, but I surely did not want to see it for a second time. Compared to this movie, "Schindler's list" is a silly romance.

Enough violence! I think I already mentioned my all-time favorites - "Blow-up" by M. Antonioni and "Roma" by F. Fellini in a similar thread...

Attachments

• Blow Up.jpg
    Blow Up.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 8
god, why didnt i mention black hawk down? one of the best ever!!! also saving private ryan,(tom hanks is brilliant), .,

oh and not forgetting, "Behind Enemy Lines".,.,

I won't admit to it on an open internet forum infront of other men but it nearly brings a tear to my eye at the end, plus the moment "tell my ma and pa that I fought well today". ;)

Behind Enemy Lines has the unfortunate problem of going silly towards the end in my opinion, but it has an awesome first hour.

Saving Private Ryan is simply amazing but for some reason I wouldn't class it in my top 50, is that the hype I wonder? It's sad because it's a seriously good film but I didn't even buy it at Asda at £4 the other day.

Hotel Rwanda, well worth a mention. I am sure Munich would be a good film but I watched it and got lost and confused after 45 minutes.

My favourite film is 'A Bronx Tale', mainly bacasue I have a really rubbish memory when it comes to films, however, I saw this film for the first time when I was about 11 (10 years ago) and I have always remembered it exactly! AND it is a brilliant film IMO.

A very young Robert de Niro trying to keep his son from the the main Bronx gang, however his son witnesses a murder and the 'boss' takes him under his wing as he didn't 'snitch' to the cops, (cut a long story very short and didn't really give it justice but not got that much time) and the rest unravels (obviously there is the black vs white thing which ALWAYS intrigues me, I have always wished I could go back in time to see what the Bronx was really like, probably wouldn't be a good idea but I'm VERY interested in Black culture around and before the Civil Rights movement)

'Ray', a film about the life of Ray Charles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350258/

Jamie Foxx who played Ray Charles deservedly won a 'best actor' Oscar for his performance. He was so good that it seemed more like watching a documentary with the real Ray Charles rather than a film with the part being played by an actor. Jamie Foxx also played piano and sang live in many scenes in the film adding to the athenticity.

Amazing film (y)

Last edited:
"...I see all this potential, and I see squandering. An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy sh*t we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very p*ssed off..."

Fight Club :D

Legedary film with so many truths (well so I think)

'Ray', a film about the life of Ray Charles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350258/

Jamie Foxx who played Ray Charles deservedly won a 'best actor' Oscar for his performance. He was so good that it seemed more like watching a documentary with the real Ray Charles rather than a film with the part being played by an actor. Jamie Foxx also played piano and sang live in many scenes in the film adding to the athenticity.

Amazing film (y)

I agree, great film (y) However, I think they could've cut a few bits out that weren't so necessary just to make it a little less long. Can't quite remember which bits they were but there was quite a few, just my opinion :D

who goes there?

can't quite place it? back in 1951 with cold war anti-communist hysteria moving into gear, an adaptation from howard hawks

43m.jpg

on the face of it a monster played by a man in a rubber suit, setting a precedent for so many more, awakening from antarctic deep freeze by a bunch of scientists, in a remote outpost. the tensions ratchets up as the are picked off one by one. by the subtext to this early classic horror, is far mor insidious, and the final line of dialogue confirms it : Watch the skies, everywhere! Keep looking. Keep watching the skies!

at a time where air power had final proved its worth and the superpowers were racing to devise every more powerful ways to destroy each other, this tale of it's time was brought to the screen to terrify a nation that a new enemy was coming.

fast forward 30 odd years:
200px-The_Thing_DVD.jpg

and john carpenter creates one of his finest, again the setting, the monster awakened, but this time the tension, horror and pace are moved up another gear. throw in rob bottin groundbreaking "in-camera" effects, stunning matte paintings and a classic was born. and the sub-plot this time? well we are about to enter the reagan era, and the cold war is still raging hard as ever, but a new enemy has reared it head, one thats far more insidous, and played upon to greater effect, the monster gets to you through your blood, through contact, and as the isolated men fight for their lives, and identity in the dark corridors of the outpost, who has it? who doesn't? there's only one sure way to know, and the outcome is terrifying

a story and two movies for their times? or simply moments that make you jump, scream, and certainly in one case say "you gotta be ****ing kidding"

Back