Technical best discs for a 899 cinq

Currently reading:
Technical best discs for a 899 cinq

stinkyparp

does anyone know what the best aftermarket repalcement discs and pads are the best for a 899 cinq. are the drilled grooved discs that much better or perhaps original are the best route?

Depends what you want...

The standard equipment stops the car well enough, and its cheap.
But the Aftermarket stuff generally performs much better, is about 3 x as much and requires you to inform your insurers...

As for grooves \ drilled - Go grooved discs only, drill holes add to the strain on the metal, so I view it as a point of potential failure.

Fit aftermarket pads if you fit aftermarket discs - most of the time they are heat treated differently after manufacture, so pads designed to work on them will work better than OE spec pads...

Ive heard Red Dot is good stuff, I run Std discs and EBC Greenstuff pads, but am soon hoping to change the discs for a bespoke setup....

I think the number and placement of the holes in drilled discs can make all the difference.

Some drilled discs are simply that - a plain disc that has been drilled. Not a good idea as often the vented grooves are drilled through.

I have black diamond drilled and grooved. Have not used them yet but the qualiy of manufacturing looks very high. Only 24 holes in the disc and none near the edges.

To improve braking you could always fit brakes off a larger car...

Hellcat said:
I think the number and placement of the holes in drilled discs can make all the difference.

Some drilled discs are simply that - a plain disc that has been drilled. Not a good idea as often the vented grooves are drilled through.

I have black diamond drilled and grooved. Have not used them yet but the qualiy of manufacturing looks very high. Only 24 holes in the disc and none near the edges.

Red Dot does not supply replacement discs anymore cross drilled only. If they are cross drilled then only with grooves too.

For structural reason within reason it does not make a big difference how far outside or inside the holes (any company with common sense would place them at neither extreme position anyway) are to weaken the discs as it is not only a structural problem than much more a structural problem combined with extreme temperature drops encouraging cracking.

The problem does not apply to discs that have been developed with croos drilled holes as the structural problem is already accommodated for.

Hellcat said:

Yeah, in any case (unless the brake calipers arent up to the job) theres no better improvement than increasing the area of the brake pads - fit a system off a larger car!

The Cinq can hold the Punto GT front brakes under some 14" wheels, and Im informed theyre rather good :)

Yeah...I ePERd that a while back. IIRC any Bravo/a or Marea (Except Disease-al and HGT versions) would be fine Id THINK!!!

stinkyparp said:
does anyone know what the best aftermarket repalcement discs and pads are the best for a 899 cinq. are the drilled grooved discs that much better or perhaps original are the best route?

Stopping power is limited by tire grip.

arseofbox said:
Yeah...I ePERd that a while back. IIRC any Bravo/a or Marea (Except Disease-al and HGT versions) would be fine Id THINK!!!

Nope the 1.9 TD/JTD have the same size brakes as the smaller petrols. Only the 2.0 20v and 2.4JTD have larger brakes.

As for tyre grip its all good and well saying you can't go beyond the grip of the tyre - but if the brakes are overheating through multiple heavy brakes then the tyres will no longer be the weakest link. Thats where having larger/vented/grooved brakes will improve your stopping distance.

Having taken a look at the 899 brakes when mine was squealing, I have to say the pads were pretty small and didn't really utilise the disc to best effect. For a real improvement, fitting the brake setup from another car is going to be a good option.

arseofbox said:
Depends what you want...

The standard equipment stops the car well enough, and its cheap.
But the Aftermarket stuff generally performs much better, is about 3 x as much and requires you to inform your insurers...

As for grooves \ drilled - Go grooved discs only, drill holes add to the strain on the metal, so I view it as a point of potential failure.

Fit aftermarket pads if you fit aftermarket discs - most of the time they are heat treated differently after manufacture, so pads designed to work on them will work better than OE spec pads...

Ive heard Red Dot is good stuff, I run Std discs and EBC Greenstuff pads, but am soon hoping to change the discs for a bespoke setup....

drilled holes dont add to the strain on the metal any more than grooves for the life of me i dont know why you would think that? But id have to agree on an 899 cinq standard equipment is more than adequate and cheap.

Last edited:
vandisian said:
drilled holes dont add to the strain on the metal any more than grooves for the life of me i dont know why you would think that?

Sorry to disagree, but Red Dot thinks different and has stopped producing drilled only discs for this very reason.

Oldschool said:
Sorry to disagree, but Red Dot thinks different and has stopped producing drilled only discs for this very reason.

certainly not going to keep this issue open but its not only about having a hole in it its about what direction the forces are, that are acting on the disk. The fact that one company decided against this design but instead maintain a drilled AND grooved disk clearly indicates that stress was not an issue. However i still agree with AOB that standard equip on a SX is sufficient.

Oldschool said:

I agree...you know much more about this than I do, I was thinking as I usually do in a purely theoretical sense.

I think the brakes are sufficient, otherwise the car would have never passed type approval tests or what the equivalent things are....but thats no reason not to upgrade :D :devil:

Remembering that the 899 and 1108 have the same discs as standard, I think the 899 is fine with them.

I did two rallies with the 899 engine and the standard brakes and we only had a problem on one section where we were coming down the side of a hill with hairpins. As we got near the bottom they were beginning to fade but they had been used a lot on the way down with little opportunity to cool down between applications.

Cheers

D

rallycinq said:
Remembering that the 899 and 1108 have the same discs as standard, I think the 899 is fine with them.

I did two rallies with the 899 engine and the standard brakes and we only had a problem on one section where we were coming down the side of a hill with hairpins. As we got near the bottom they were beginning to fade but they had been used a lot on the way down with little opportunity to cool down between applications.

Cheers

D

this is off the subject a tad but what design features do the panda and the chinq share, because i was thinking a 4x4 rally chinq would be good or is it already been done. Not that i had any real desire for one just curious as you mentioned rallying.

You would need to fabricate a tunnel and reposition the tank on a cinq to get the drive through, and then find some way of mounting the back axle.
However, the panda system is not full time and has no centre diff, so for rallying the handling would be a bit scary.

Cheers

D

ok ill say this only once EBC are crap their disc warp easily ive tryed 3 diff sets on 2 diff cars and all warped under little stress.

I ve got drilled n grooved discs on my 899 made by EVOperformance i bought them off ebay for bout 40 quid inc postage n there actually quite good.

i do use them hard and they havent let me down. usin fast road pads cant rememba wot make got them off ebay too for 1p +9.99 postage bargain id say lol usin em with goodridge braided pipes n it brakes surprisingly quick.

so wen u say standard stuff is cheaper i say look round lads.

Back