Technical belt burning smell sometimes

Currently reading:
Technical belt burning smell sometimes

chrisgatti

curious i have a 2013 500 low km but every once and a while when i start it i get a squell sound and a smell of burning rubber and some blue smoke from the belt region which will last for about a minute .question could it be the belt tensioner seizeing up? because the air and power steering and altenator all work when this occurs? any answers would be greatful.....l chris from canada.

curious i have a 2013 500 low km but every once and a while when i start it i get a squell sound and a smell of burning rubber and some blue smoke from the belt region which will last for about a minute .question could it be the belt tensioner seizeing up? because the air and power steering and altenator all work when this occurs? any answers would be greatful.....l chris from canada.
well thanks all for your help this site is really gonna save me money so i quess i just take it in to the chyrsler dealership and let them play e-nee- meaney- miney- move let us rip u off some more.thanks again for all the replies chris from canada

well thanks all for your help this site is really gonna save me money so i quess i just take it in to the chyrsler dealership and let them play e-nee- meaney- miney- move let us rip u off some more.thanks again for all the replies chris from canada
Strange no replies, what I would do is take the belt off and turn the alternator and tensioner/idle pulleys by hand to see if they are rough in action or seized. Anything obvious replace, it's a bit strange it happens once in a while, that's weird

Sorry you'd not had any replies.
Some of us on here watch all new posts, but others only watch the forums for their own vehicle. I've not been on here as frequently as usual, but I'm surprised the other 'regulars' have missed your post.

A slipping belt is often a slack belt, but the sprung tensioners on most these days mostly remove that possibility. So the next thing, as you've guessed, is one of the driven pulleys seizing.
Ideally, you need someone else to start the car, while you peer into the space where the belt sits. Then hopefully you can see which pulley fights, either from whichever one is not rotating, or from where the 'smoke' is generated.
Your description says it drives the aircon, power steering and alternator.
Aircon pumps can seize sometimes. Most systems do not energise the pulley clutch until after engine start, so that should be ok, as any issues should show just after start, not immediately.
Power steering pumps can also seize, so ensure the steering is straight ahead on startup, so it is asking for minimal pressure.
Alternators occasionally crack their casings, which can lead to tight shafts. Might need a mirror on a stick and a good torch to check that over.

Like said above, if you can, remove the belt and turn each driven pulley by hand. Alternator and aircon should rotate easily, and quietly. You are feeling for roughness as well as ability to turn. Steering pump will have resistance due to the oil inside, but its rotation should be smooth. You may be able to feel the pumping pulses, but there should be no rough feel to the bearings. The tensioner is the most likely culprit, and if so, will feel rough when turned.

Of course, it will need a new belt too.

Strange no replies, what I would do is take the belt off and turn the alternator and tensioner/idle pulleys by hand to see if they are rough in action or seized. Anything obvious replace, it's a bit strange it happens once in a while, that's weird
thanks will try this much appreciated

Some of us on here watch all new posts, but others only watch the forums for their own vehicle. I've not been on here as frequently as usual, but I'm surprised the other 'regulars' have missed your post.

A slipping belt is often a slack belt, but the sprung tensioners on most these days mostly remove that possibility. So the next thing, as you've guessed, is one of the driven pulleys seizing.
Ideally, you need someone else to start the car, while you peer into the space where the belt sits. Then hopefully you can see which pulley fights, either from whichever one is not rotating, or from where the 'smoke' is generated.
Aircon pumps can seize sometimes. Most systems do not energise the pulley clutch until after engine start, so that should be ok, as any issues should show just after start, not immediately.
Power steering pumps can also seize, so ensure the steering is straight ahead on startup, so it is asking for minimal pressure.
Alternators occasionally crack their casings, which can lead to tight shafts. Might need a mirror on a stick and a good torch to check that over.

Like said above, if you can, remove the belt and turn each driven pulley by hand. Alternator and aircon should rotate easily, and quietly. You are feeling for roughness as well as ability to turn. Steering pump will have resistance due to the oil inside, but its rotation should be smooth. You may be able to feel the pumping pulses, but there should be no rough feel to the bearings. The tensioner is the most likely culprit, and if so, will feel rough when turned.

thanks for reply. when i said all the stuff works when this happens i meant that no idiot lights come on ,but yes because its stick shift ill have to get wife to start it. are these not electric steering i was under the impression they were but i will do the things you recommend in the spring because its wrapped up for the winter up here in canada.. much appreciated..

It does not have an hydraulic power steering pump, it's electronic powered like the panda.

It does not have an hydraulic power steering pump, it's electronic powered like the panda.
Original post seems to suggest a power steering pump, but could be just the way it is worded. This will be a North American spec car, quite a lot of differences to the European ones, as we are finding out with each new post from over the pond.

Original post seems to suggest a power steering pump, but could be just the way it is worded. This will be a North American spec car, quite a lot of differences to the European ones, as we are finding out with each new post from over the pond.
Yes it does but I think that's just because he doesn't know its electric steering either. Can't see why the American spec is any different, they just ship the same cars over we have but as you say anything is possible with fiat! Hope he comes back to report what it was.

Yes it does but I think that's just because he doesn't know its electric steering either. Can't see why the American spec is any different, they just ship the same cars over we have but as you say anything is possible with fiat! Hope he comes back to report what it was.
They don't ship the same cars over

USA version of the 500 is built in Mexico and they use the 1.4 multiair engine

YOU KNOW ive been going on u-tube and lots of folks are saying the altenator breaks down around 48 thou miles and it explains the burnt rubber smell and smoke.Has fiat or chrysler been held accountable for this failure because it seems many folk have this problem and its a bitch to do yourself because of the position of the altenator,,,,,,,,,,any body hear anything i mean this is just wrong.here its like a 12 hundred dollar job at dealer to do

Back