Belgian Beer Festival - v - Amsterdam weekend

Currently reading:
Belgian Beer Festival - v - Amsterdam weekend

angel

Mrs arseofbox
Belgian Beer Festival -v- Amsterdam -v- Berlin -v- Budapest Weekend

Hoping to go away for a weekend with a close friend and we cant decide whether to go to the Belgian Beer Festival or Amsterdam for the weekend :bang:

He has been to Amsterdam already but I have been to neither places.

Anyone been to the beer festival at Ostend?

Oh now we also chatting about Budapest or Berlin.

So basically a decision of 4:

Beer festival
Amsterdam
Budapest
Berlin

Decisions decisions :confused: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ooh tricky one - but think i'd go to Amsterdam, but i'm a bit bias as i think amsterdam is the best city in the world!

Ostende, apart from the beer, has little to recommend it. It's a touch bleak and not particularly welling with interesting sights. The older part of town with cobbles, fountains and statues etc. is rather pleasant though. This is probably where the beer fest would be.

Never been to the other three but I'd plum for Budapest. Hungarians seem full of warmth and it'd be interesting to take in a former soviet bloc country.

Amsterdam I think is the 'too easy' option. It's a bit obvious.

Considered Munich?
As a car lover I think you'd find the industry related sights quite interesting. Mercedes factory is a landmark in itself. Plenty other stuff to do too.

Thanks for that input, I have fancied goin to Amsterdam, but think it probably best to go somewhere where neither of us have been.

No doubt there will be other places mentioned before a choice is made, as we dont intend goin until later on in the year.

:D

moogs said:
How later on?
If anyone wants a properly sorted xmas and new year then I would say just one word... Oberammergau. :D

I think August/September time we looking at.

Go on then, explain Oberammergau :D

OK Oberammergau is the Christmas town. It's home to Germany's xmas decoration industry - wood carvings, JC stuff all that lark, not fairy lights and such necessarily.

It's the home of the Passion Play - a ten yearly event where they act out the nativity in a massive famous thatre. I.e. it's a place quite rooted in the spirit of xmas.

Even as a devout atheist I loved the place. I may not believe in the whole thing but I sure love partaking in the spirit of...

There's skiing, snowboarding, mulled wine and hotdog sellers on every corner and the hotels are second to none. Our attic room was more of a suite than a room and has to be the most perfect experience I ever had.

Come New Years eve, there's an incredible torchlight procession. The large cross sitting atop a cliff overlooking the town is set aflame (not in a kkk kinda way!) and then everyone walks around the town. At each junction the procession halts and the band starts playing. A male voice choir sings germanic carols and an illuminated star (2ft in diamater) is held aloft the crowd on a stick. It features a really cheesy piccy of JC as a likkle baby.

At the crescendo of the music, the points of the star rotate really fast around the centre of the star (coz the guy holding the big stick is spinning a handle), the music builds and then everyone shouts 'a geuts neut yahre'.

Later, you go the cinema bar party, talk to loads of cool people and then they set off crackers in the street.

The food there is seond to none, pork schnitzel and fries is a heavenly experience. You can dine for two people for around £14 and get a meal with lots of drinks that will shame any UK establishment.

Take a sleigh ride, bomb down the slopes on a board if you will, fall in love with the kitsch antiquity of the place and never want to leave!

If you find all that a little dull then there's the fairy tale castle (from Chitty bang bang) at Neuschwanstein not too far away.

This message brought to you by Moogs in association with the Bavarian tourist board. Seriously though, if you want your holidays filled with magic and your New Years to be memorable, rather than best forgotten then this little haven, nay heaven in Bavaria is for you.

moogs said:
OK Oberammergau is the Christmas town. It's home to Germany's xmas decoration industry - wood carvings, JC stuff all that lark, not fairy lights and such necessarily.

It's the home of the Passion Play - a ten yearly event where they act out the nativity in a massive famous thatre. I.e. it's a place quite rooted in the spirit of xmas.

Even as a devout atheist I loved the place. I may not believe in the whole thing but I sure love partaking in the spirit of...

There's skiing, snowboarding, mulled wine and hotdog sellers on every corner and the hotels are second to none. Our attic room was more of a suite than a room and has to be the most perfect experience I ever had.

Come New Years eve, there's an incredible torchlight procession. The large cross sitting atop a cliff overlooking the town is set aflame (not in a kkk kinda way!) and then everyone walks around the town. At each junction the procession halts and the band starts playing. A male voice choir sings germanic carols and an illuminated star (2ft in diamater) is held aloft the crowd on a stick. It features a really cheesy piccy of JC as a likkle baby.

At the crescendo of the music, the points of the star rotate really fast around the centre of the star (coz the guy holding the big stick is spinning a handle), the music builds and then everyone shouts 'a geuts neut yahre'.

Later, you go the cinema bar party, talk to loads of cool people and then they set off crackers in the street.

The food there is seond to none, pork schnitzel and fries is a heavenly experience. You can dine for two people for around £14 and get a meal with lots of drinks that will shame any UK establishment.

Take a sleigh ride, bomb down the slopes on a board if you will, fall in love with the kitsch antiquity of the place and never want to leave!

If you find all that a little dull then there's the fairy tale castle (from Chitty bang bang) at Neuschwanstein not too far away.

This message brought to you by Moogs in association with the Bavarian tourist board. Seriously though, if you want your holidays filled with magic and your New Years to be memorable, rather than best forgotten then this little haven, nay heaven in Bavaria is for you.

Oh that sounds just idyllic for Christmas, much better than trying to race around getting unwanted presents for every1.

Well I will bear that in mind if I can save enough between now and then and take my daughter, plus hopefully the other person in question in this thread will read this and think 'yeah that sounds fantastic' and come along too.:D

Sounds like you had a fantastic time.

Most amazing time of my life. I even got to stay in a hotel called the Gasthof Fux.
Year before I went and stayed in Neuschwanstein beneath the gaze of the fairy tale castle. There's nothing quite so enchanting as the sound of a lone trumpet carrying across field of misty snow at 3am New Years day.

Unforgettable moments and snapshots of time that will live with me forever :)

Back