bbc news about modified cars

Currently reading:
bbc news about modified cars

:ROFLMAO: at this thread and the BBC article :D

even the fastest street cars in the uk are still only running around 100hp extra with nos (proven hp, not just "100hp" jets) on progressive controlled systems. Any more would indeed "blow the welds on the manifold" (or more likely, just fry a piston or two)

and i know of hardly anyone who actually has ran nos in their car. I bought a system once, but wisely decided not to fit it :eek:

sold it ages ago. was gonna run it without telling the insurance, but dad convinced me of the error of my ways :eek: it was a "wet" system with standard solenoids and jetted for 40hp.

tried a cheap nos kit on the minimoto, but like the rest of the cheap chinese crap, it never managed to work, because the pipe kept getting ripped out by the back wheel :D

Last edited:
love that vid lol

I wrote an email to the bbc complaining about the article before i saw it on here.

How can a representative of the AA obviously have no mechanical knowledge claim that it gives an extra 200bhp (n)

plus they focus on someone who has had the car 5 years and spent so much on his pride and joy and claim it is so dangerous and killing people :shakehead:

they must have tricked the guy into talking to them, saying that "we want to use you and your car in an upcoming feature" or some such rubbish. There's no way any normal person would allow their pride and joy to illustrate a blatant exaggeration!

I was astounded that got published TBH.

The AA seemed to claim that modifying cars to that extent 'bypass their safety devices' (assumedly meaning brake, tyre and suspension limits, SRS design envelopes etc.).

They really didnt seem to consider how that by choosing to drive anything you are actively accepting some risk that you may be killed or severely injured as a result of driving. The presence of 'safety devices' is irrelevant. Whilst they may mitigate the effects of or prevent the failure mode* occuring , theres no saying that they will do absolutely and without failure.

...it sounds as though the AA are standing on a high horse over current safety standards, but not acknowledging that people have been messing with cars outside of the boundaries of their original design since the automotive industry began!

* failure mode being the visible symptom of the failure. 'Safety devices' can either mitigate the effects of a failure mode, or prevent the occurrance of the failure mode entirely (e.g.: ESP can prevent loss of grip in certain scenarios, ABS limits the effects of loss of grip under braking, airbags and other SRS limits the effects of rapid deceleration)

www.dailysnail.co.uk

modified car - tick
crash - tick
young driver - no tick

like any thing the thing is doing things properly. a corsa with ripspeed tat all over it might not be to everyones tastes but if it's what the young owner can afford, and it's done properly and maintained well, as their pride and joy they're not going to drive recklessly, or have a dangerous car(no more than a standard car).

compare this to the bloke in the dailymail article above who wasn't young to a car which is probably worth more who hadn't done things properly with devestating consequences. i'm sure there are examples of young people doing similar but i can't be bothered to find it.

But as always it's generally a minority who spoil it for the majority here. The first image that comes to my mind of modified cars is chavs in macdonalds etc as i'm sure it is to many except those who's mods aren't all about making loud noise and showing off in macdonalds carparks etc.

Back