bbc news about modified cars

Currently reading:
bbc news about modified cars

they are saying the driver is the danger, not the car.

if you be honest with yourself it is 100% accurate that modified cars are more likely to have a dangerous driver behind the wheel compared to a standard car. not all modded cars are driven by retards, but most are.

links fine for me

Problem with mods is they are taken off just before the mot, then put straight back on afterwards. There are far too many people with illegal and dangerous mods getting away with it - usually not insured as well.

Don't get me started on idiots that think doubling the engine power is fine and do nothing with the brakes and suspension.

Yes it's a sweeping statement that isn't entirely fair - some people such as yourself no doubt do things properly - problem is a large proportion of modifications are dangerous.

I still get 404 error.

Are modified cars more likely to have a dangerous driver behind the wheel? Yes.

Do all modified cars have a dangerous driver behind the wheel? No.

I've seen chavs in their lexarsed saxos do some really stupid stuff, but then you have the likes of us who have cherished modified cars - and treat them with more care than you would another car (sorry Bravo).

theres a quote in the statement -
the quote simply says "Five hundred young people die in car crashes across the UK every year. "
thats an irrelevant stat, it would only work if it was along the lines of "20% of young people drive modified cars, 500 young people die in car crashes every year, 80% in modified cars..." - showing that theres a link between modified cars and crashes.

there is only 1 reason you would fit no2 on a car- to make it faster. if you need that extra performance on a public road then it is fairly obvious that you intend to break speed limits.

I understand that there saying that inexperienced drivers are the problem - therefore make the driving test harder and limit new drivers to a power output level untill certain age or they pass an advanced test demonstrating their ability :) although they need to do more to get uninsured/mot'd/licensed cars/drivers off the road tbh 1st.

Last edited:
"Five hundred young people die in car crashes across the UK every year." out of 3000

all it did was 100 lol

also how can they pay for the insurance on these modified cars?

bull **** news to the rescue

Last edited:
I understand that there saying that inexperienced drivers are the problem - therefore make the driving test harder

its don't have to be harder, just longer an include more stuff actually driving the car like driving on motorway, how to control a car if a fault appears when driving, an skid control.
an take tests in cars with no abs as that is often the type of car a young driver ends up with when they pass. how can they learn emergency stop with out skidding when the car they learn in has abs:confused:

Last edited:
I understand that there saying that inexperienced drivers are the problem - therefore make the driving test harder and limit new drivers to a power output level untill certain age

just seen tis on news 24. whilst i agree with you on this depending on how you look at it this is already the case. i only know of two people my age or younger who drive a car with a bigger engine than a 1.2 for one simple reason. insurance.

or they pass an advanced test demonstrating their ability :)

there were talks of including some basic mechanics etc in the standard test yet this never came to pass. And there is pass plus which is primarily driving in adverse conditions, motorways, dual carriageways, country roads and town driving. the issue with this however is it is optional and is at an additional cost.

although they need to do more to get uninsured/mot'd/licensed cars/drivers off the road tbh 1st.

agreed.

its don't have to be harder, just longer an include more stuff actually driving the car like driving on motorway, how to control a car if a fault appears when driving, an skid control.
an take tests in cars with no abs as that is often the type of car a young driver ends up with when they pass. how can they lean emergency stop with out skidding when the car they learn in has abs:confused:

look up the Icelandic driving test. might be an idea to make ours like that.

Last edited:
What a load of crap.

It's ways of getting round insurance and fake MOT's that are more worrying. I know of no one running Nitrous in their car.

I've been given some stupidly quick cars at work (namely a 911 turbo), so surely i am more dangerous in this than a chav in a 200bhp saxo?

Nothing you do to the cars will change the fact that some are driven by idiots.

1.1 Saxo up our street 6,000rpm in 1st, 2nd..... at 1am. If I'm driving the Tipo through built up places after 8pm I do my best to keep the noise down - always have.

Well think the BBC/AA shot themselves in the foot there...trying to make out that cars like that are dangerous....unfortunately at the start of the article its said he's had it 5 years so since he was 20...which would suggest its not exactly a menace to society as its not been parked upside down in a pensioners front room. Choosing someone who has obviously spent a lot of time and money on their car is a bit silly if they'd chosen a corsa with 17s with bald tyres, no brake pads, and no other mods other than lexarse lights and a K and N then they may have had a point. Also did you see the scything incisive journalism what about the danger to someone in front on the motorway? Erm....well what about the danger to anyone on the motorway when they have a faster car behind?
Must be a slow news day.

Back