Technical Battery fault?

Currently reading:
Technical Battery fault?

carperjake

My son’s 2010 Evo was as dead as a door nail today, not been driven in a couple of weeks and we’ve had a cold spell. Initial thoughts were the battery. So we bought a replacement and dropped it in. As soon as he turned the ignition on he got all sorts of weird dash messages; ABS fault, EBD failure, check engine light, ABS light, power steering failure, start stop not available.

I’ve rechecked the battery connections and sat on it for 20mins with the engine running. Now all we have is the check engine light, the ABS light and a bulb out, looks like NSR indicator has blown.

When I took it for a test drive I would lose all electrics but the car would still run in limp mode until I changed gear and then I would get it all back for a couple of seconds then fail again, power steering was intermittent (worrying), airbag warning, stereo wouldn’t stay on. The engine ran the whole time, Speedo wouldn’t work, dash lights would all fail abs the display would fail too.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

First of all, you have to read the obd messages for errors.
It could be an alternator failure or a relevant electric power failure.

We’ve identified the issue.

Took it to my local garage yesterday. Started fine, drive ok with lights on the dash on but the power steering worked fine.

Mechanic has had a look, apparently the battery we have put in, despite being the one designated for the Evo, has slightly small terminal posts and the neutral wasn’t making the perfect connection. He’s a added a bit of metal to the post and tightened it up and it’s fine now. The check engine light was from when the battery had previously gone flat before.

All the earths were fine and the alternator is charging perfectly, the battery is undamaged.

Lucky escape as only £40 in labour with no parts needed to be replaced. We have a happy son again!

Back