Technical battery drain

Currently reading:
Technical battery drain

raymied

Got a 2001 1.9jtd. If left for a couple of days the battery is flat. Have changed the battery and the charging system is fine. Looks like its got a electrical drain. Anyone had any similiar probs.

Does it have an aftermarket stereo? and if so does the radio work after you have taken the key out?. .

If yes to both there is your problem, the radio needs to ne wired to an ignition live not a constant live

Thanks Mdeko for reply, but when i dis-connect the stereo (which does`nt have igniton feed) i have still got the drain on. The actions i`ve done so far are to dis-connect the battery neg lead and put in a test light between the post and lead which puts the light on , so i have pulled out the fuses 1 at a time which has no effect on light, i`ve also dis-connected the elec windows 1 at a time also central locking motors but still the test light stays on. So now i am thinking it might be the alternator diodes or something.

Best way to test it is to use a multimeter instead of the light it will tell you how much drain there is, then disconnect things as you are doing the value should drop.

The light will stay on as the circuit it still there, this is normal.

Been thinking bout re-wiring the radio to an ignition feed 2moro. Many thanks my friend.

how did this go raymied? im having same problem, im a newbie so to rewire it are you taking the whole centre console off?
thanks, Matt

Hi, use the search function to find out how to rewire switched ignition live for aftermarket stereo ;).

Hi cronin, haven`t done the re-wiring yet gonna do it 2moro. But i will probabily try and pick up a switched live from the elec window switch or heater or somewhere around that area.

posting some photos as you do would be grateley appreciated!

my brand new battery was flat after 3 days of non use

Hi cronin, done the radio re-wiring today but not convinced it will sort my problem, time will tell i suppose. Anyway i used the ignition fed wire on the cigarette lighter as my feed. It took bout an hour to do it was straight forward but bit fiddely. I did it as follows:-

Undo the 4 screws that hold the front panel on (2 are underneath the ashtray) which are quite fiddely to get to the other 2 hold the foot vents on either side of console, the foot vents are held in also by a clip so just give it a gentle pull when screws undown. You will need a 4mm Allen key for these screws.

when you have the scews out the top of the panel is held in by metal spring clips again give a tug to free them. After the panel is loose ease it to the left where you will see the fag lighter connection, it has 3 wires on it (yellow,black and red) the red is the ign fed wire. I scotch locked a wire to it, fed that wire to radio then scotched that to wire on radio which is needed for ignition fed feed. After i had cut it and taped the unused end as that is the permanent live. Hope this helps mate

i had this same problem,but if i take my face off my stereo my battery is ok,but i will need to chop that wire because guaranteed i will forget bout it one of these times and there will be no hill in sight :ROFLMAO:

Back