General Battery cover

Currently reading:
General Battery cover

DickBarton

Hi folks,

Just went to top up my screenwash and thought my battery looked a bit different...I think there has been a cover of some sort over both sets or one set of terminals on the battery. It's now gone and I can't find it in the engine bay (so no idea when or where it was lost (or how)).

Firstly, how close to the terminals sit to the bonnet? Am I risking some arcing or something to the bonnet?

Secondly, anyone know a part number and cost of a replacement cover?

I need to go check the undertray and bottom of the engine compartment...for the last fortnight there has been a sort of squeak noise when I go over speed bumps...it might be the battery cover getting squashed as something moves...

Thanks.

Hi folks,

Just went to top up my screenwash and thought my battery looked a bit different...I think there has been a cover of some sort over both sets or one set of terminals on the battery. It's now gone and I can't find it in the engine bay (so no idea when or where it was lost (or how)).

Firstly, how close to the terminals sit to the bonnet? Am I risking some arcing or something to the bonnet?

Secondly, anyone know a part number and cost of a replacement cover?

I need to go check the undertray and bottom of the engine compartment...for the last fortnight there has been a sort of squeak noise when I go over speed bumps...it might be the battery cover getting squashed as something moves...

Thanks.

The battery is only 12V - technically there could be some arcing here via the bonnet but only over a minute distance. Basically, so long as you've got more than a couple of millimetres clearance then I think you'll be fine (assuming the battery is fixed in place anyway). As a cover has fallen off then there must be a small gap now between the terminals and the bonnet where the cover once was, hence no problem? Doesn't the sound proofing on the underside of the bonnet make this a non-issue anyway, acting as an insulator - I think mine has sound-proofing all across the underside of the bonnet.

The Bravo manual does mention a fuse box on the battery positive terminal however - see page 181.

Thanks for the comments...yes I suspect there is a gap but I've seen a similar happen to a mate's car and don't fancy burning a hole in my bonnet!

Thanks for the comments...yes I suspect there is a gap but I've seen a similar happen to a mate's car and don't fancy burning a hole in my bonnet!

Fair enough, cant say I'd like that either. I'd get a second opinion, don't want you breaking down my door in the night haha.:eek:

Seriously though, if the battery is fixed and away from the bonnet then you shouldn't have a problem. I don't know if the battery is fixed in place or if gravity simply does the job, I've never messed with mine. Perhaps put some blu-tak on the terminals, drop the bonnet, open it and see if its squished or not.

Back