bass and engine power loss

Currently reading:
bass and engine power loss

when i have the hu turned up quite loud and a powerfull bass note plays the car seems to loose power most noticeable when below 50mph 1.5krpm.
is there a way to cure this or is it just a wiered sensation due to the car viberating, i have a 4 channel infinity amp running 10"sub and components

Could be putting a touch too much strain on the charging system maybe?

did a test using multimeter at idle with h/lights on and running a bass disc voltage at batt didn't drop below 14v untill h/u was at 26 normally only drive with volume at 20 max

What about when it's at 1.5 - 2kRPM?

Install some power cap's to take some of the load off the charging system.

If anything you would increase the load on the charging system. A cap takes power from the battery so it can charge, it's how it works. All a cap does is regulate an electrical supply. If the headlights are dimming then there isn't enough power there in the first place.

What about when it's at 1.5 - 2kRPM?

will try this but thought at idle was lowest charge point

I've seen this before it used to make my headlights go dim when on full usually in time with the bass beat :rolleyes:. Install some power cap's to take some of the load off the charging system.

my h/lights don't dim and there 80w sportz blue bulbs, will be changing to hid soon though only about 30w drain

Cd's are better quality so could just notice that difference. I sometimes think I'm running out of petrol...but tis certain road i drive down lol How you got them hooked up to your battery? You using a battery clamp? Would try maybe gettin them.

Last edited:
i've never had this problem even when using multiple amps and subs. when you test you need to the ampage rather than voltage. if you have a healthy battery and alternator then the amplifier's current draw shouldnt be a problem. if your amplifier is pulling too many amps then the engine will suffer because there isnt enough current to satisfy its demands.

What's the voltage at the amp end? (Although I'm not convinced that voltage drop is the problem). Might be a good idea to improve the earthing as custard suggested.

Back