General Bargain new HGT

Currently reading:
General Bargain new HGT

You should be able to get a brand new one for not much more than £9500, but still not a bad deal I would have thought with only 3000 miles provided it's not hiding any secrets.

You know it's a diesel not the proper HGT don't you? P.S the link doesn't work for some reason.

I don't think it's anything too special I believe it's just the 1.9JTD with sports trim alloys and skirts etc.

No, the normal 1.9 JTD in the punto is 85 BHP and 11.8, 108 top end.

HGT JTD is 100BHP, 9.3 and 115mph albeit a massive 9 ins. group and you get 53MPG compared with 57 of the standard JTD.

Correct link is here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4528877622

Actually, now i think I am wrong....it's the multijet HGT that's 100BHP and I am not sure if this is a Mjet JTD - I didn't even think they existed here but according to parkers they do.

List price new is:

11,995 :eek:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
List price new is: 11,995

Which means you should be able to get one for a little over £10000.
Edit whatcar says £10200.

So what is the difference I wonder between the 1.9JTD and the 1.9Multijet , surely they are both Turbos otherwise the multijet wouldn't be faster would it? In any case I knew there was a diesel HGT but it's nowhere near the petrol one - although of course you do get about 20mpg more!

The multijet is 16v, the normal JTD is only 8v.

Insurance group 9 is just stupid for the new HGT, the Seat Ibiza FR TDI 130bhp is group 8!!

I'd definately go for the diesel HGT, over the petrol, after a remap it will be way faster.....

The HGT 1.9 multijet was introduced with the 'Mk2.5' Punto and has been on sale for as long as the rest of the range.

It is indeed a 100bhp engine with 8 valves, not 16. The performance stats posted by the negotiator are indeed correct.

The difference between multijet and JTD is that JTD uses a single high-pressure jet (1600 bar?) for the combustion process where as the multijet uses a number of lower pressure jets for each combustion explosion. The advantages of this are fuel is burned much more efficiently (you get more performance from the same 'bang' on each cylinder because the single 'bang' leaves unburned fuel, hence the black smoke coming out the back of diesel when the engine is 'on-load') and the technology tends to be quieter (rather than 1 big bang, there are a number of smaller ones).

If you live life on the rev-limiter the 1.8 HGT is the way to go, but if you drive like a normal person and prefer torque to pull you around, the JTD is unbeatable. In the real world, turbo diesel is much faster :rolleyes:

Oh, and if you buy the 1.8 you will struggle to get 30mpg (especially if you use the performance) but the multijet should get 50mpg regardless of how hard you drive it (y)

The 85bhp 1.9JTD is still on-sale in the 'Mk 2.5' Eleganza specification only. For the new Punto this engine will be replaced with an uprated version of the 1.3 multijet engine. Power will go up to 90bhp, and torque will rise to about 160lb/ft @ 1750rpm. This engine was supposed to come with 'Mk 2.5' but has not been fully tested. Don't ask me how I know, I just do ;)

Good info there, so the 1.3 Mjet is a MJTD or just petrol? If MJTD, 90 BHP from it is excellent and I imagine in lower performance guises would have a go at the Renault's 1.5Dci in terms of MPG.

The Negotiator said:
so the 1.3 Mjet is a MJTD or just petrol? If MJTD, 90 BHP from it is excellent

All the multijets are diesel. 90bhp gives a specific output of 72bhp/ litre which is quite high for a diesel but not unheard of (BMW get 81.5bhp/ litre out of the new 320d). This is one of the real bonuses of multijet (or whatever name other manufacturers use) because it burns all of the fuel.

The new BMW 320d actually 'fires' 4 times for each cycle, as opposed to a traditional engine that does it once.

multijet also makes performance much smoother :)

Back