Bargain basement automotive meter to keep in your glove box/tray

Currently reading:
Bargain basement automotive meter to keep in your glove box/tray

It never ceases to amaze me when we commonly get asked questions on here how many chaps don't own a simple multimeter. Now while I don't ever condone the use of a cheap multimeter on mains and commercial electrical installations and equipment, you can do a multitude of useful tests on a car with with a suitable budget item. You really don't need a 1000v CATIV Gossen or Fluke while doing simple fault finding on automotive systems. You mainly need 4 things resistance, continuity, voltage and frequency. Of course amps is useful for finding parasitic drain on a battery but it's not an essential. Cheap meters are generally very accurate they just aren't as robust and have don't have suitable safety when hooked up to high (think mains) voltages.

Anyway you could purchase one of these from Sealey:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-TA300-Automotive-Pen-Probe-Digital-Meter-Brand-New-FREE-SHIPPING-/271076641130?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f1d6d496a

Bit pricey for a basic meter but ideal for prodding your car with, so how about the same meter in a different colour at a price you can justify keeping it in your glove box:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-Pen-Probe-Style-Autorange-Digital-Multimeter-US0534-/271099689941?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3850992982060864244%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D271099689941%26

Now some people will be thinking what the hell do I need frequency for? Well this will allow you to test any sensors with a digital output similar to what you'd normally measure on an oscilloscope. This is the case with certain solenoids, 3 wire crank sensors, cam sensors, bus systems etc. While it won't give you an image for analysis it will tell you that a sensor is operating and the signal is making it through the cable which 9 times out of 10 is all you need to know.

If you really won't a truly unbeatable combination for finding the majority of annoying electrical problems that come as standard on most Italian vehicles I'd suggest one of these to keep it company:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PP1-BRAND-NEW-SEALEY-AUTO-ELECTRIC-PROBE-6-24-VOLT-4-5-MTR-CABLE-/120933004679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c282b3587

With these 2 tools and a lightbulb/load (for loading and earth fault tests) there really aren't many wiring and sensor issues that can't be diagnosed.

Anyway... this was just a heads up for the cheap meter at a 3rd of it's normal Sealey price. The point is before you spend £30+ on a crank sensor because your car won't start think about having a £10 meter to hand, with a few simple tests it might just save you purchasing multiple parts you don't need...

US0534.jpg

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hmm so a little update on this if anyone is interested... (probably not :eek:)

I originally bought this tool to leave in the car for emergencies, however I am a self confessed lazy bar steward. Since its easier to reach for a meter on the dash than open my tool case and dig out a proper tester its been getting a workout for the last 3 days. In fact I was using it on £100k brand new digger to day (only to fit a CB radio though...) ;)

I've found some several annoying things but the most annoying was the inclusion of a great idea with hideous execution.

So they included a torch, but not a nice bright LED an old school yellowy bulb focused no where near the probe. No doubt it was putting the batteries through unnecessary hardship while at the same time supplying about as much light as a candle made of pastry.

This situation has been resolved this evening with the fitment of a nice high intensity white LED now making this feature insanely useful. :D

Anyway so the good:
  • Very responsive frequency measurement with good accuracy up to 10mhz (best in the centre ranges)
  • All ranges tested on my proving equipment (LCR and calibrated decade boxes, function generator) to be within claimed specification. Not amazing by any means, but plenty good enough for most car work.
  • Auto power off (damn how many batteries have I killed on meters without this)
  • Auto ranging
  • MV range
  • Springy earth lead
  • Lighter socket adaptor (gives you a useful earth inside the vehicle)
  • Nice rubber protective case (I'd still try not to drop it!)
The not so good:
  • Poor yellow torch bulb (now rectified)
  • No lcd back light (torch but no backlight are you kidding!?)
  • Resistance is slow to count (accurate enough but sloooooow)
  • No sharp/insulation piercing probe (some types will fit, I mainly use the MAC tools back probe pins on connectors these days anyway)
  • Writing rubs off if you scratch it hard (settings are also displayed on screen so no biggy)
  • Cant change leads without soldering (Doesn't bother me but might bother others)
  • Loose probe holder until you tighten the probe on it (not life threatening as it's fine once tight but this is a very very poor design)
  • Internal construction doesn't look very resistant to dropping (lots of through hole caps with no glue etc.)
  • High voltage protection is non existant.
Anyway is it worth the Sealey price, hell no! Is it worth a tenner, sure for the frequency counter alone but it's no Agilent that's for sure. (y)

DSC00049.JPG
DSC00052.JPG

Back